Fly Beginner

HookedOnTackle

Hi guys, i just bought one of the fairly cheap fly combos for beginners and was wondering if anyone has a passing interest in fly fishing and might want to teach me a few things and possibly get into some great fly action while we are at it.

It's an 8 weight crosswater combo in case you wanted to know :D

This is how i first started fishing,used to fish the welsh rivers and lakes for trout and sea trout,

It is an art, beautifull once mastered.

I also tied my own flies, I only have river patterns not saltwater.If you need help, I kind of helped Death Ray with his trip to NZ.Teaching someone to flyfish is different to fishing yourself.

Bri.

mate do yourself a huge favour and get a hold of a nial logan he has a website called 'try on fly' and speak to him about tuition for your casting, the biggest problems with those cheaper combos is they can be hard to get the most out of the little they offer, good starting point but spend three hours with him and you will get the most out of your setup. 90pct of people start flyfishing give up due to not knowing how the rod loads and how your line works. he is very well priced and a great teacher. i would do this before even fishing and he will probably fill you in on a few fly suited spots too. good luck and let us know how you go!

smart thinking you wont be dissapointed, i think he is the cheapest around and from what i have heard the best, in the time you spend with him you will come further than years on your own, i didnt have the luxury of having someone when i started due to none in my home state so by the time i got onto him i had developed so many bad habits that it is very hard to iron them out! let me know how you go and if you decide to get into the tying side of things let me know if you want someone to whip a few flies out with. he also does a type of guiding service too so have a chat and if its something you would be keen on splitting the cost of pm me it will work out abit cheaper that way and as im new to anything bar flyfishing for trout i am keen to learn the salt side of things, good luck

• 2 weeks later...

good stuff mark glad to hear it went well, when he was finished with me my forearm was sore but my wrist was kaning for about six hours after my lesson [ relying so much on my thumb on my forward cast] and only cold beers would sooth the pain in the hand. all of my previous fishing had been close range trout and it was great to actually use my rod the way it should be and feeling it load the way it should. sounds silly but its amazing how good a good cast feels

I started fly fishing in the late 90's I lived down south for a bit and a mad keen bloke noticed that I showed an interest so he gave me an impromtu casting lesson on the bank of Lake Jindabyne. I was sold on it straight away. As it turned out though the first fish that I landed on fly was a small GT in the Whitsundays.

I lost a lot of my saltwater gear about two years ago, and have only recently picked up the wand for the first time since.

I am keen to get back into it, if anyone wants to join me for a swoff just yell out. I live at Manly and am a bit tied up with renovating and kids but I am sure that I can find some time.

I also use to tie most of my own flies, which I want to start doing again as I have a weeks fishing in November that I will need a heap of flies for.

Cheers,

• 1 year later...

Hi I thought I'd just drop a reply in.

I know its an old thread and its my first post but gotta start somewhere

I'm UK based but over in Brisbane for five weeks Dec/Jan.

I'm a saltwater fly fisher/spinner and I'm excited at getting out and about around brisbane so any tips gratefully received

Top tip for starting fluff chucking is get a few starter casting lessons. Like golf its easy to pick up terrible habits and they are harder to "put right" and become a decent caster. Casting well is fun on its own without catching, not catching because you are in knots or haven't got any distance is a double misery.

Like all areas of fishing you could go the whole hog and have a ninja 800 quid rod, 400 quid reel and 1000s of beatifully tied flies. But the basics are all the same, keep it simpland cheap a bit of technique, experience and cunning catches more fosh than a credit card

Getting the rod and line balanced is your only worry really.

There is a UK saltwater fly fishing forum that has absolutely shed loads of advice on tackle techniques etc worth a look

Beware they are all tackle tarts as well

UKSWFF LINK

I'm a fan of swff because it makes catching small fish fun......And thats all I seem to catch:P

Archived