Deciding to try something else a bit different.

Bob9863

I've been trying a few different trolling techniques to zone in on summer trout. 

It took a bit but I've started pulling in a few smaller rainbows, but it's been so much work trying to get them to bite I decided to try something different. 

Trolling flys, it seems to have a certain popularity in the US so there's no reason it won't work here, and it's supposedly the best technique for shy slow to bite trout. 

This is the basic rig, similar to a paternoster rig, only instead of loops you tie a T knot. That's a loop knot combined with a paternoster knot, it makes, the line stick out straight. Then you clip the base of the loop to make a longer strand you tie the fly too. 

I also added little aeroplane spinner blades to give them a bit of flash and movement. 

IMG_20221111_230807.thumb.jpg.f5a67e407dd7b0785d7b8a70d87907c0.jpg

IMG_20221111_230729.thumb.jpg.d3b1ff73e14a962c10a74e1bf78a0665.jpg

The other thing I'm looking at is a little bubble float fly fishing on spinning gear. 

That should be good for redfin, I found they are more aggressive going after flys when tenkara fishing then they are with lures or soft plastics. There's no hesitation, no pick up's, they just go after them hard. 

I'd say that's because 90% of the diet of both trout and redfin are the small native bait fish that only flys can properly represent. 

No, but I've used unweighted and weighted soft plastics and had vibes. 

Smaller spinners are also deadly on fish, they can't seem to pass up the action they have, they can really bring on the bite when other lures fail. 

These days people go for more and more advanced lures, but strangely the older types can be even more effective, I put this down to the theory that everything old is new again. 

High fishing pressure makes fish suspicious of lures that get used all the time, especially fish that are often caught and released. They seem to learn from previous experiences, so switching to something simple and old that isn't often used these days seems to get past that problem. They become something new and different from previous learned captures. 

Gave the rig a test today, unfortunately shortly getting into position for my trolling runs I got halfway through my 1st run when the weather took a severe turn so I had to make a run for calmer waters. 

Once there the chances for trout were pretty much non existent, so I tried a few, runs for some redfin before things fit really bad. 

I only got a few, passes in but I managed 6 redfin on the fly rig, so I think it's got potential. I'm looking forward to the return of good weather so I can truly give the rig a proper run. 

IMG_20221112_223034.thumb.jpg.e609d00dbbde5dbd693acd9ade29008b.jpg