Rod/reel advice

Pellisa

Hey guys, this is a broad question and I'm sure it gets asked lots;

i've currently been using a cheap 6ft telescopic rod/reel combo with spinners/hard plastics/

I need recommendations on a new rod to use for lure fishing. ideally very versatile, I go to the Murray, lake Eildon and out in the bay. I'm thinking 2-4kg and 7ft, looked at the ugly stik gold 2 but after researching it looks like i can do better if i want a rod specifically for lures. Graphite rod ideally? Shimano raiders look alright, just want some suggestions on good new setups/deals on at the moment and whether its worth buying rod/reel separately or better value getting a combo. I'm happy to spend up to $250! 

your most cost effective way is to buy a combo from BCF or Anaconda.....they are usually remarkably good value.

The Shimano Raider range is proven as a versatile and decent rod....

You are at odds in the Murray River however where you have fish there that would require two completely different setups.....2-4kg for trout, redfin and smaller yellowbelly and a 6kg model for the medium sized murray cod.

Serious guys still get busted up using 50lb braid on the cod there.

If anything I would look at a cheaper rod with an upgrade reel rather than a more expensive rod and a downgrade reel.    

In the Shimano range I would opt for nothing less than the Sedona and much prefer the Nexave or the Stradic. 

Keep an eye out on facebook marketplace as well, there are lots of decent second hand reels and combos there at reasonable prices.....will save you lots of coins buying there.

@ellicat honestly In the bay i'm keen to catch anything big enough to keep, i know that doesn't help much but most of my bay fishing (primarily offshore in rosebud in the boat) i've just caught small flathead that i've gotta throw back (really frustrating) however i've only done bait fishing in the bay but keen to start using lures as well! Have never tried a baitcaster!

@mangajack

sounds like its worth me getting a heavier 6-10kg rod specifically for cod fishing (and also out in the bay?) and then buying a good 2-4kg for trout in freshwater locations. Shimano sedona combo any good? i'm aware the reels in the combo's are usually not great hence why its probably worth just getting rod/reel separate.

@ellicat 

i picked up one of these about a month ago but haven't had a chance to use it much because i've only been in freshwater with small game since. its the 7ft 4-8kg (4000 reel) so i could keep using that as my heavier rod? not sure if they are considered to be any good with lures but I know its graphite so on the lighter side. I'm keen to replace and ditch the telescopic so i'd be inclined to get a smaller 2-5kg that is great with lures

https://www.bcf.com.au/p/shimano-sienna-hd-spinning-combo/M562771.html

2 hours ago, Pellisa said:

@ellicat 

i picked up one of these about a month ago but haven't had a chance to use it much because i've only been in freshwater with small game since. its the 7ft 4-8kg (4000 reel) so i could keep using that as my heavier rod? not sure if they are considered to be any good with lures but I know its graphite so on the lighter side. I'm keen to replace and ditch the telescopic so i'd be inclined to get a smaller 2-5kg that is great with lures

https://www.bcf.com.au/p/shimano-sienna-hd-spinning-combo/M562771.html

That thinking is good.

You know over time you will have twenty different combos in the end. haha

I e pulled a number of cod out of the murry on a 4kg rod and 30lb ultra thin braid, I've caught them on 10lb braid too and have only lost them due to coming unbuttoned. 

A 4kg rod with a 2500 sized reel will pull anything out of the murry unless it's in thick timber. 

Cod don't fight hard, just heavy and only for a short fight, they seem to run out of steam pretty quickly. 

On 11/02/2023 at 2:10 PM, mangajack said:

That's embarrassingly true when you look in my shed.....i need to cull a few soon.

Count is somewhere between 30 and 40 I guess.

I think everyone are collecting them till...

I just realized i need to get a sand and water proof reel to go into beach fishing as i don't want to spend hours cleaning them each time.

So i look for ine in bcf and here i find they are on promotion: buy reel get rod free. https://www.bcf.com.au/p/shimano-spheros-sw-spinning-reel-8000hga/618926.html

However the price of 300ish, really put me off. I can get 5 of those combo reels. So i am going to buy 5 combo in 10 years to complete my collection. Or till i hit the jackpot 😜

Cheers all for the suggestions!

spent a bit too much at compleat angler yesterday;

I ended up picking up a eurocor rod (pics attached) and paired it with a shimano nasci 2500. The rod felt nice and light in the hand, if anyones heard anything about eurocor i'd love some feedback if they're meant to be any good. Also ordered this https://hottackle.com.au/product/deal-4-barra-cod-baitcast-combo/  as i'm heading to the murray next week - hopefully goes alright for cod! What weight of braid should i put on the baitcaster? IMG_4197.HEICIMG_4197.HEICIMG_4197.HEICIMG_4196.HEIC

26 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Leader - use a rod length plus a foot or so. I'd start with 30lb and go up from there if you're losing terminal tackle to snags.

do you reckon the 5ft 6'  is going to be annoyingly short? apparently the reel is great so would consider swapping it to a 6-7ft rod 

3 minutes ago, Pellisa said:

do you reckon the 5ft 6'  is going to be annoyingly short? apparently the reel is great so would consider swapping it to a 6-7ft rod 

Normally for a baitcaster a shorter rod allows you to make more accurate casts, the trade off is you lose out on some distance, so you would have to consider whether you need longer or accurate casts. 

On 13/2/2023 at 10:05 AM, Bob9863 said:

One thing I've learnt is the weight of a line isn't as. Important as it's abrasion resistance. 

When fishing snags and rocks I've found 15-20lb regular thickness braid better then 30lb ultra thin braid as it handles the rough stuff better. The strength of the line is unimportant as long as it's stronger then the drag on the reel. 

Copy that. I’ll pick up some 20lb braid for the baitcaster, what brand do you recommend with a high abrasion resistance? 

Shimano kairiki is my go to, along with Finns. 

That takes a good amount of abuse, another go to for me is to run thin dangan braid and to use a longer 30lb fluorocarbon leader. 

If your not fishing thick snags then you can get away with using thinner line, especially if using surface lures ect. 

Cod are not a heavy fighter, they are very hard hitters but then then they pretty much become a heavy weight that tries to hold position. 

6 minutes ago, mangajack said:

I am having an outstandingly good run lately with plain old Schnieder Klearline mono instead.

I used just Schneider as leader for years. Got plenty of fish in NQ. Then went to jinkai. Got plenty of fish in NQ. Have not seen jinkai around much anymore?

I'm not sure that different leaders aren't largely just marketing w..k factor. 

If you get run into rocks or sticks that have oyster or barnacle growth, then 9/10 times you are stuffed.

In the freshwater where I fished timber is  by and large, more likely to be covered in algae and silt. If you get run in there and wrapped up  around it 9/10 times you still can't get a fish out unless you swim for it. Swimming for it can be fraught with danger in many circumstances.

I would be interested to see a report on the "Outstandingly good run with Scnieder lately"😀👍

9 hours ago, Bob9863 said:

Shimano kairiki is my go to, along with Finns. 

That takes a good amount of abuse, another go to for me is to run thin dangan braid and to use a longer 30lb fluorocarbon leader. 

If your not fishing thick snags then you can get away with using thinner line, especially if using surface lures ect. 

Cod are not a heavy fighter, they are very hard hitters but then then they pretty much become a heavy weight that tries to hold position. 

20lb shimano kairiki for the murray? not very clear water, was consistently casting near the bank near the trees/logs last time i was there but have since been advised to cast in the middle but i'll be trying both!

5 hours ago, Pellisa said:

20lb shimano kairiki for the murray? not very clear water, was consistently casting near the bank near the trees/logs last time i was there but have since been advised to cast in the middle but i'll be trying both!

It's funny around here, sometimes there's SFA visibility and other times it's quite clear. I switched back to mono for a while from braid but I prefer braid for sensitivity. 

I've cought some pretty good cod on 15lb and even 10lb braid as by catch when fishing for trout and yellow belly, but I didn't have to pull them out of snags either. 

I find the cod close to the bank most often but then I've been hit in the middle of the river too, it really depends on the water and the time of day. 

• 3 weeks later...

If you're targeting larger fish in the bay and want to try lures, a heavier 6-10kg rod would be a good investment for cod fishing and other species.

A Shimano Sedona combo can be a good choice, but keep in mind that the reels in combo sets are often not as high-quality as standalone reels. You may want to consider buying a separate reel for your heavier rod.

For freshwater trout fishing, a 2-4kg rod would be suitable, and the Shimano Raider you mentioned earlier is still a great option. You can also look for other lightweight graphite rods with fast action that can detect bites more easily.

Don't hesitate to ask for advice from local tackle shops or experienced anglers in your area, as they can provide valuable insight and recommendations for specific locations and fish species.

I would probally get a second hand stradic 4000 paired with a shimano jewel 4-8kg. and 20 pound braid and either 30, 40 or 50 pound leader depending on what fish are biting at the time. But you can't go wrong with a stradic, last forever. 

Another option if you want to spend a bit more would be a td black mq 3000 on a td sol rod or even a td black rod