Rod Help for a saltwater newb

Bdizzle

Hey I need some help choosing a rod. As part of my work there are times when I'm at anchor in the bays around the Townsville area. I've been out twice now and there's been baitfish bust ups happening around the boat but I don't have a rod.

I'm after a rod that I can use to throw some lures at to try and catch whatever is hunting the baitfish. I have zero experience with any saltwater fishing as I have only ever fished the freshwater down in country VIC.

I would also like to use this same rod to start doing some land based lure fishing around Townsville. 

I believe the following rods are all pretty similar on paper but I know there's going to be a massive difference when it comes to real life use. Is there a standout or DO NOT touch rod out of them or am I completely off target with the selections? I'm happy to spend up to $250 and will get a reel to match it afterwards.

Atomic Arrowz
Offshore AAS-70H 7'
Rod rating 14-30lb
Cast Weight 10-50g

Shimano Jewel
741SPSW 7'4"
Rod rating 5-10kg
Cast Weight 10-40g

NS Black Hole Amped 2 
S-701XH 7'
Rod rating 15-30lb
Cast weight 15-50g

Penn Regiment Black Ops 2
701MH 7'
Rod rating 6-10kg
Cast weight 12-58g

Daiwa TD Black V2 2020
762MHFS 7'6"
Rod rating 5-10kg
Cast weight 10-30g

Abu Garcia Veritas Tournament
721H 7'2"
Rod rating 6-10kg
Cast weight 7-45g

I will appreciate any advice you lot have to give! Cheers

I have heard good things about the Atomic Arrowz Rods, and I have an Abu Garcia Veritas 4.0 which I like for lure fishing (although it’s a lighter model than what you have listed). I’ve also heard good reviews on the TD Black and Shimano Jewel. I haven’t heard much about the others you have listed. You could consider a Shimano Zodias as well, which are supposed to be great.

Welcome to the forum, 
Cheers Hamish

Welcome to the forum. 

All those models there seem to be fine - They're a good length around that 7' mark and have a well-rounded weight rating too. 

They'd be good off the boat. If you're fishing landbased, just chucking around some lures, some of these models have pretty heavy cast weights and rod ratings for that application. 

I'd suggest potentially going lighter for the landbased luring, and stick to the models you've listed for off the boat. 

Perhaps a 7' ish, 10-20 gram light, fast action rod would be good for the land. 

Charlie 

Since you appear to be travelling, have you thought about the Bone Voyage (4 PCE rods).  BVSH734MH would be a decent boat rod.  $280 from Tacklewharehouse here in Bris.  Pair it with a Shimano Stradic 5000 and you have fairly solid outfit.

I have a Voyage Salt Water Finesse and its a sweet little stick.  Great for lightly weighted plastic (what I bought it for).

On 05/12/2022 at 8:04 PM, Bdizzle said:

Hey I need some help choosing a rod. As part of my work there are times when I'm at anchor in the bays around the Townsville area. I've been out twice now and there's been baitfish bust ups happening around the boat but I don't have a rod.

I'm after a rod that I can use to throw some lures at to try and catch whatever is hunting the baitfish. I have zero experience with any saltwater fishing as I have only ever fished the freshwater down in country VIC.

I would also like to use this same rod to start doing some land based lure fishing around Townsville. 

I believe the following rods are all pretty similar on paper but I know there's going to be a massive difference when it comes to real life use. Is there a standout or DO NOT touch rod out of them or am I completely off target with the selections? I'm happy to spend up to $250 and will get a reel to match it afterwards.

Atomic Arrowz
Offshore AAS-70H 7'
Rod rating 14-30lb
Cast Weight 10-50g

Shimano Jewel
741SPSW 7'4"
Rod rating 5-10kg
Cast Weight 10-40g

NS Black Hole Amped 2 
S-701XH 7'
Rod rating 15-30lb
Cast weight 15-50g

Penn Regiment Black Ops 2
701MH 7'
Rod rating 6-10kg
Cast weight 12-58g

Daiwa TD Black V2 2020
762MHFS 7'6"
Rod rating 5-10kg
Cast weight 10-30g

Abu Garcia Veritas Tournament
721H 7'2"
Rod rating 6-10kg
Cast weight 7-45g

I will appreciate any advice you lot have to give! Cheers

Hey bro, I got the Atomic Arrowz and it's not really for my style of fishing, used it once and don't like it, i've also got the cover if you want i can send it to you, pm me if intrested

cheers Dan

9 hours ago, Huxstang said:

Since you appear to be travelling, have you thought about the Bone Voyage (4 PCE rods).  BVSH734MH would be a decent boat rod.  $280 from Tacklewharehouse here in Bris.  Pair it with a Shimano Stradic 5000 and you have fairly solid outfit.

That's a good option, I've got a number of travel rods and they are pretty handy. Quality will depend on budget, but the choice of reel is a pretty good recommendation, that should be up for just about anything. 

• 4 weeks later...

hi, if you are looking for more of an offshore rod i must rccomend the ugly stick bluewater with really any sizeable shimano reel 5000 or higher i would say

where as a river rod i am going to say ugly stick again but the gold ii with any diawa 2000 to possibly 4000 depending on what line your carrying 

with a lighter reel i recommend a very light braid probably neon with maximum 30ib leader (river rod)

and for an offshore rod with a big enough reel you could step up in line category probably to about 20ib to 30ib nylon with some thicker leader maximum 70ib 

tackle will be important aswell for river fishing you will need some small swivels for your leader 1-3 hooks and 2-5 sinkers all depending on what fish you’re targeting a line size so on and then i would really recommend picking up a double clutch lure they are slightly pricy but are super easy to fish with and anything will go for them

ofshore tackle i would say 4-6 sinkers with 4+ hooks and some solid leader the further out you go the bigger and stronger you will need