medium spin combo

aichepee

hey everyone

im looking at getting a good new medium spin combo for thready and jewies etc.

will be used in the yak so cant be too long.

i already have a 2-4kg and 3-6kg combo. as well as a shimano raider 5-8kg with a symetre 4000 on it. i find the raider reaally annoying in the yak as it has a massive long butt section and its 7'6" and ive retired it to moreton bay mack/ tuna slug work.

i want the rod to have some good grunt but be sensitive enough to work plastics for offshore reef fish.

my budget is around $900 bucks.

ive been thinking about a gary howard inshore snapper 4-8kg 7' with a luvias 3000.

any suggestions welcome.

thanks, harry

haha wesfish im not that bad mate. just seem to have seriously bad luck with thready. have caught about 5 ranging from 50cm to 80cm at indooroopilly but never have luck with the big ones at the mouth.

and also, that symetre raider combo is sorta my dads....

yeah ive decided on the gary howard, now what about reel. would a luvias 3000 hold up to the abuse. ill be running 20lb

From my experience, $900 for a combo in the yak would mean 9 combo's for me! I'm to tight to risk that value rig in my yak!

Get something similar to the raider, if necessary get the but cut off, changes the balance a bit, but worth it. Any rod I use in the yak with more than 8 inches of but gets cut off, helps it fit the holders better (and I use baitcasters, so makes casting easier). I actually use tsunami's when using a heavier rod in my yak, 5-8kilo 5foot 6 (or might be 6 foot, but no longer). They are jarvis Walkers graphite range about $70 from Kmart and while they are no Egrel, they are very good value for the money.

No problems catching big fish on them, my biggest fish so far (not in the yak!) on one is a 1m Barra.

aichepee wrote:

haha wesfish im not that bad mate. just seem to have seriously bad luck with thready. have caught about 5 ranging from 50cm to 80cm at indooroopilly but never have luck with the big ones at the mouth.

and also, that symetre raider combo is sorta my dads....

yeah ive decided on the gary howard, now what about reel. would a luvias 3000 hold up to the abuse. ill be running 20lb

go 30-50lb and go for a joy ride on the yak lol seriously though 20 lb for a thready combo is a bit light if you plan on releasing , but if you are going to keep it will be heaps for the battle!! i dont know much about the luvias but i am sure it will handle 20lb... have you got a rod lanyard?

i want just be using this in by yak. dads getting a new boat next week (bar crusher 640c) so ill be spending a bit of time offshore. im thinking now of going for a heartland 4000 with a daiwa saltwater 6-10kg. will cost a lot less and seems like a great combo. ill also be able to run 30lb.

Strudwick Bluewater rod (either 5-10kg or 10-15kg) with a sustain 4000. Should only be about $600 with braid. I've got the 10-15 and have caught snapper with plastics as well as yellowfin and wahoo. Bit of overkill for the snapper but workable and absolutely awesome for the speedsters

Archived