Electric or Petrol motor?

sharkboi

both will make it move .

u just got to sum up what u want out of it .

with the electric u need a battery and battery time ,before it's flat .

petrol ,well they are noisy.but would have more hp than a electric.

i get about 3 hrs out of my 54 lb water snake in my canoe ,its still going but starting to slow down .but that flogging it hard.

Few things to consider .

To start the petrol motor you have to turn around an pull the start rope. How agile are you? I am an old fart and could not do that.

Most 2hp motors are direct drive so when you start them off you go . I think that only the hondas have a centrifical clutch which is better. To reverse you have to be able to reach behind you and swivel the motor 180 degrees as none of them have a gearbox. If you go up to a 3.5 or 4 hp you can get a F.N.R motor.

With the leccy you have to factor in the price of a battery and charger another 2 to 3 hundred bucks depending what you buy.

Where do you intend to use it?

Weight of battery?

Where on canoe are you going to mount motor. If its not transom type you have to purchase or make a side mount bracket.

If you are going to go in the salt is the leccy a salt water model/

If not be prepared to wash and spray it throughly.

Cheers

Ray

Hey Shark Boi... Mate I have a canoe the same size as yours and have a 2.5HP Mercury on the back.. The boys make valid points so if your not too steady in the canoe I would go the ellecy so you minimise moving round.. I on the other hand can easily stand in my canoe.. I fish in it standing all the time and have never once come close to falling out.

I take a big long paddle with me on outings so you really get the best of both worlds. When I need to travel a distance I sit down and use the motor and then when I am about 50m away from the snag or correcting my drift i can easily use the paddle to stealth it.

I would definately go petrol unless you plan to use it for alot of fresh water impoundment fishing.

Chris

sharkboi wrote:

Thanks for helpful reply's guys

I think i might go for the electric although not sure if it will be powerfull enough to push me and a mate around?

thanks

i can't see why not .

my canoe is about 420/30 long.fiberglass.

had me and 2 of my boys in it 40 kg 50 kg and 95 kg.

battery at 26 kg plus our gear and drinks .

we where on the Brunswick river.we fished and drove about for about 3 hrs no problems .

drove from the camp to the mouth with the tide then back against the tide .

then went for a spin and fish later that arvo .still going ok.

me and my bro went to boggy creek the other day ,2 blokes me 95 and bro about 75 kg(i remember them 75 kg days lol)

us our gear and drinks etc .4 hrs of trolling, fishing ,running into sand banks ,getting stuck in mud,against and with the tide .no problems .

but if u are going to do saltwater most of the time i would think of the petrol or a saltwater electric.

mine is a freshwater 1 .but i plan to do more fresh than salt .last 2 time i used it in salt was cause i was to lazy to lift the tinny up .but i was it and let is soak in fresh water and spray it with anti rust /seize stuff.

mine is a 54 lb.

oh i should add

i got my electric bloody cheap and new ,so that's why i risk it in salt water.

if i get a few year out of it .it has payed for its self .

• 1 month later...

wack an solidly built outrigger on ya canoe and mount the leccy on the rear cross strut ...

use the area between the struts as storage and workin area with some kind of light platform installed..easily solve all ya dramas mate.. stability plus ..

push it along well with an 86 ... if u increase stability u increase carrying capacity..so the extra weight due to batteries etc shouldnt be prob if u get the balance right...

Archived