Bow mount electric

Eug

After talking with a few forum members, I've decided to get a bow mount electric for my runabout.

After having a chat with Theo he's recommended a SW55lb motorguide wireless for around $1570 incl. hand remote.

Now some people have also recommended for around that price I could go a Minn Kota with an added autopilot function.

JW watersnakes are also another option, but I have heard of dying motors and rusting bolts.

All up it will cost about $1000 for the custom alloy work, 100amp battery and labour. Plus the $1500 for the motor.

Can I get some experinces and advice from others on here with bow mount set ups?

What can I expect to pay for batteries? Anderson plugs, etc.?

I know Theo will look after me, however I am also quite handy and can do some of it myself to save costs. i.e. installation, batteries, etc.

I just need the metal work done for me.

Cheers

Eug

for the minn kota autopilot owners, do they play up often? how handy is it?

my main use will be to get me in and around the wharves in the river, jumpinpin and to set up the occassional drift out in the bay, mud island, peel island, etc.

I get my anderson plugs for around 5-6 bucks each on ebay when I buy a lot of 6.

Repco has them on special at the moment cant remember price but a lot less than bias or whitworths.

Battery from century batterys at carole park from the marked shelf usually around 100 to 120.I think davodinkum just got one for 100.

If you can afford it go the autopilot motor. But I suppose it depends on how you are going to use it. On the dams it is a real bonus as you can set your course and then proceed to do other things whilst trolling .

If you are just goung to use the motor to hold position whilst casting the motorguide will do all you require of it.I just converted my minnkota autopilot to hand held remote from the foot pedal . Cost around $150 including freight from USA. Only takes 10 minutes to convert.

Re reliability both ninnkota and motorguide have the runs on the board and both seem to have a good record for service.

Dont know about motorguide spares pricing as I have never had any issues with mine.

Minnkota spares are exy and 4 years ago BLA had a standard fee of $85 which included first hours labour. I paid $350 for a speed control circuit board.

Watersnake service is brilliant they even arrange free pick up and delivery for warranty claims .Their spare prop charges are about 25% of minnkotas.

Cheers

Ray

Archived