North Brisbane Creeks and Rivers

JETfusion

Has anyone fished any of the following creeks and rivers? If so, did it go well?

- South Pine River

- Upstream Pine River

- Upstream Caboolture River

- And various small creeks like Burpengary Creek, Sheep Station Creek, Freshwater Creek and upstream Cabbage Tree creek

By the way, I'm still searching for a perfect fishing spot. Such a place must meet the criteria of little turbulence in the water and it must be fresh (relatively).

Thanks in advance. ;)

Mate I'm afraid you'd probably have to get out of the Brissy area a bit to find that elusive perfect fishing spot, and if such a spot exists then you might be hard put to find a bloke willing to share it with you over the net. My advice, and it's probably not really what you're after; is to simply get out there and cover as much water as you can either by foot or kayak/canoe. Depending on what species of fish you're after find out their most sought after bait/s (usually a live critter), and use it in as many spots as you can get to. When you find the fish then you can switch to other baits or lures. Talk to as many people as you can about the areas and the fish to be found there, but don't believe everything you hear.

It's all about trial and error in my opinion - the more water you cover and the more things you try. The information you gain even from the failed outings will eventually uncover the spots you're after.

Good luck.

-Steve.

Google earth, an interested mate and some spare time are your best friends, go out cover some ground and find your own secret honey hole or two. You'll be proud every time you crack it, the hardest part is not giving away all your hard work to someone else. The secret is really tight focus photos and tight lips. I wish you the best of hunting you will have a ball.

JETfusion wrote:

Thanks everyone for the advice! I've got some local creeks around here, quite ancient actually. I highly doubt it had been fished for quite some time. However, lots of bush and shrub will make it hard for me to fish there.

That's why canoes/kayaks are gold Jet, cos the scrub doesn't stop you provided there's enough depth (you only need about 15-20cm), and you can get to those spots that others can't get to easily. Canoes have their drawbacks too though - fallen logs over creeks are a problem, weirs :angry: , and finding a spot to put in and out close to your transport and fishing spot. Sometimes bushbashing on foot and wading the shallows is the way to go.

I've recently put a sounder (fishfinder) on my canoe and have found it to be really useful when going to a new spot searching for fish when you have little or no idea of what's in there. They're not as useful in creeks and rivers as they are in impoundments and large water bodies, but still very useful when you have little knowledge of the area. Expensive though $$ :(

-Steve.

Upper reaches of the creeks that feed into Pummicestone Passage hold limited populations of wild bass for the explorers. Plenty of tracks in the bush through the state forests at Beerburrum, Glasshouse etc. Permits no longer required to travel on these tracks. Keep clear of logging operations and travel with another vehicle (soft boggy sink holes are common) Kayaks and canoes will give you the best options. Google earth is the best way to make initial plans.

Kev

Archived