Changing hooks on lures

Swagger

I had a very good morning catching bass on hardbodies, but did lose quite a few due spitting the lure and hook ups not holding up during a fight. Some were due to the bass not really striking hard but many I think were the result of having small trebles. Is anyone else finding the trebles small on lures when they are purchased? The one im referring to is the predatek minmin I have. I have also found they straighten a little aswell even on just legal fish. So has anyone put on slightly larger trebles and if so has it affected swimming action of the lure? and increased catch rates?

I bought a hole heap of the berkley frenzy lures cheap but the first thing I did was upgrade the rings and hooks.

I did a couple of experiments by putting smaller and larger trebles back on the lure

( Compared to the original hooks )

I found that the smaller ones reduced my hook up rate significantly and the bigger ones were to clumbsy and got snaged a lot.

By all means upgrade your hooks but in most cases the size they come with is the size they work best with.

Hope this helps.

Cam :)

Gday

m8 you will find as Cam said most but not all lures come with the right size hooks,some of the cheaper lures will have either to small or big hooks but most of the more expensive lures will have the lure set up properly,the quality of the hook is as if not more important than size,cheaper hooks dull and straighten easier than your more expensive hooks which will account for quite a few lost fish,as you know most of the time bass dont muck around when they hit a lure which usualy translates into solid hook ups,if you a dropping a few fish or not hooking up properly your hooks are more than likely the reason,another reason may be the rod is a bit heavy or to fast in the taper department which will cause the hooks to pull.

hope that helps

Scott

Archived