Fishing New Zealand

Angus

Has anyone ever done any fishing in New Zealand.

Tanya and i will be hiring a car and driving around the South Island and i will have the chance to flick some lures around certain locations.

Do i need a permit in the fresh?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Angus

dont know about permits but there is only 1 species in freshwater over there and thats trout and inmost places it's illeagle to use anything other than fly gear on them.

landbased saltwater is good fishing but the species are very limmited. snapper ,kahwai ,pahroare(giant ludrick) flounder(mostly speared)and kingfish is about it

I come from New Zealand on the east coast of the south island.You do need a fishing license to fish the fresh you can buy daily weekly or yearly licenses.You dont need a license to fish in the ocean.

Fly fishing is very popular as is lure fishing in the rivers ive never seen plastics used at all,completely different fishing to what you are used to over here.

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!! i hope ur staying in queenstown, apart from it beeing the nicest place ive ever seen and the snowboarding is unreal, the fishing is awesome!!!!! theres a spot where the speed boats dock that is offlimits for fishing, they have an underwater viewing place where you can feed the fish and watch em underwater, its incredible, massive salmon, absoloutley huge. buuuuut, around the corner your aloud to fish. i bought a $40 combo with some brown and some silver slugs, since i had no idea how to fly fish and the cheapest setup was about 180 buks. i caught 12 fish in the two afternoons we were there, probably over 6 hours or so, but the amount of follows you get keeps you heaps excited. most of them were brown trout, but a few rainbow trout as well. was tryin to get some salmon but diddnt get any until we got to a place called lake taupo i think its called where i fished in a flood way that was totally packed with fish. caught 3 salmon 3 rainbow trout and 2 brown trout in an hour. it was the best fishing i can remember, they were also my first ever fish on any kind of lure,adding to the thrill. had absoloutley no idea what i was doing, so with a bit of expirience you will probably clean up. never got to eat any, but letting the fish go in front of the mountains in the pristine waters felt much better than eating it would have. all the fish i caught were on a brown slug with blak stripes from what i remember. also try some tassie devils, as i found 15 on the shorline over the duration of the trip where people snaged them at the water edge and diddnt wanna get there feet wet so i went in and got them for myself. still got them in the garage! diddnt think to use any though haha. the devils certainly seemed to be the choice of lures other than fly's. cant remember why i diddnt use any... anyway good luck mate you are gonna have a total ball over there!

have fun in NZ mate, the south island is a great place.

as has been touched on, there is a lot of emphasis on fly fishing in NZ, but there is lure fishing available. you will need a licence, and you they are often region specific. when you get your license, you get a little book that talks about the regs for a given area.

the south island of NZ is one of the most amazing places in the world.

and the troutfishing will blow your mind:)

IMGP0062.jpg

IMGP0056.jpg

some pics from this year

cheers

ez

Post edited by: troutfish, at: 2007/04/05 07:39

Don't know about the size of bull sharks but there is defiantly some good fishing to be had. Some of the snapper they get over there make our Mud Island snapper look like whiting B) Snapper mainly up north though. South Island has great Trout fishing mainly brown trout but winter is defiantly the best time for trout fishing. There are plenty of charters that will take you out for the day and provide all the fly gear and lessons difference is instead of getting in a boat you jump in a 4wd and head bush as the trout all live in the streams and rivers that flow down from the Alps. As for fly’s and lures you will find that each area has different colours that work best.

All my pics from my last trip are gone as my USB flash drive disappeared out of my computer at work (Feral back me up) but I stole a photo from the web to get all you yak boys going. Not a bad snapper from a yak. Also just do the normal Google searchers and you’ll get all the info.

[img size=450]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/1785.jpg

post-458-144598411008_thumb.jpg

Archived