Bribie Surf Beach 6 & 7 April

Cliffy

Absolute calamity - everything closed Good Friday night, so what's a bloke to do but go fishin'? Headed up to Bribie with a couple of mates to catch the incoming tide about 7:30pm Good Friday. Quick plug and mental note to all - the Bait & Tackle shop at Carseldine was not only open on Good Friday, but they were still open when we got there at 8:30pm!! Legendary!! Got to the surf beach (southern end) to find good gutters and not too much wind. After the usual p#ssing around trying to tie knots in the dark (sigh, forgot the torch tis time, there's always something. Should have used the d%mn car headlights, but not that intelligent!) finally got fishing with an assortment of whole squid, pilchards and poddy mullet (on separate rods). Immediately started pulling in huge catches of an unusual species which I haven't caught for some time. Multi-finned, brownish in colour, no discernible head/tail end. Yep, we were straight into weed, so after half an hour pulled up stumps and hit the main north track up to the ocean beach past the lighthouse. Great spot, found a good gutter and started fishing and within half an hour a major storm front blewthrough. I mean major, the whole shebang thunder, lightning, wind, brief torrential rain. Finally blew over and we fished until around 1:30am with the final score: Bait 4, Tide 2 (sets of gear), Mystery Fish which picked up the bait twice and ran with it 2, Me 0. Oh well, better than sitting around watching some clown on the idiot box catch fish and kiss 'em, I guess!

Oztrav wrote:

where you spinning at all when catching the weed

i find it a gun technique for pulling out large clumps or grass;)

No, I was using my standard 4/0 3-gang rig. Thanks for the tip though, now I know what to use to increase my catch!B)

Yeah definitely weed is a problem in the windy season in the northern end of the bay (and the surf beaches on Bribie where the bay drains out!). Oh well at least we know there are still sea grass beds out there for the little fishies to grow up in!

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/04/07 23:55

Cliffy wrote:

Oztrav wrote:
where you spinning at all when catching the weed

i find it a gun technique for pulling out large clumps or grass;)

No, I was using my standard 4/0 3-gang rig. Thanks for the tip though, now I know what to use to increase my catch!B)

hmmm that si still agood choice lots of sharp ends

Archived