itch partially scratched (mud island)

cameronh

After not being able to head out due the the weather the past five weeks, saturdays forecast had me itching for the work week to end faster.

Final check of the weather on friday night, had us on schedule to have the boat in and and motoring for mud at 3am. With the sun not due to rise till 5:50, we took it easy in the river and motored out at 10 knts. By 4 we were at our spot and suddenly the wind picked up and gusting like crazy. As a result we decided it was safer to anchor up and drop the r-jayz down. Pitch black and we were all ready to drop our lines down, so i set up the new bait runner(thanks to the guys at tackle warehouse) with a floating pillie while my little bro put on a 5inch shad in an attempt to christen his new luvias 2500r. And before I know it, he was on before I could get my plastics rigged. After a short fight up came a 45cm pike (hahahaha :blink: ), i think he thought he had a squire.

So he drops it down again and before we know it he was on again, another pike... but then i noticed the the floater rig was going towards the front of the boat, unfortunately, it wasnt because of a fish, the wind had pushed us into the opposite direction to the tide..... great.....:(

So we stuck it out and battled on until first light, then we decided to go look around the northern side of mud and see if there were any birds, got there and zip, so wemoed to the carpark on the western side and anchored back up. Got a few small bites and go about 5 undersize squire before I finally managed to entice a 35 cm parrot to the boat. Things went quiet after that, so we decided to up anchor and go back to our first spot, on our way back we spotted some birds working so we motored over and had a few casts, but couldnt bring anything up and the birds soon dispersed sigh....

Back at our first spot and tried to anchor up, but she just wouldnt hold the bottom(think its time to get one of those cooper anchors i keep hearing about) so we left her down and we were still drifting at around 1 knt. The tide had changed now and so the baits were going in the right direction... YAY!!! First drift/anchor we both got 2 just under squire 33's and 34's, things started to look better, so we reset and drifted again, this time little bro gets nailed on the drop, the luvias starts screaming and the head shakes looked like a good snapper, after about 3 mins, TWANG, wind in the slack line and she'd bitten through the 10lb fluro... after a few swear words we tried the drift again for more undersize squire...

After this we decided to call it a day, headed back into the river at 30knts and home by 11. Final counted for the day 1 legal parrot at 35cm, about 20 just under squire sent back for next time, 2 pike and the usual grinners...

Sorry no pics, wasnt really worth it, one day I'll get my 50 cm+ bay snapper. Any hints/tips would be great?

Ah well, it was good to finally get back out on the water.

Thanks

Cam

Archived