Pumicestone Passage - Easter Monday

chonna

Headed up to the passage on Easter Monday for a fish. Weather wasnt too bad, so it was looking to be a good day.

Launched at Toorbul around 6am, and proceeded to head to our normal yabbie banks. Pumping was hard going at first, mainly 1 per hole. We got sick of getting fark all yabbies, so found us another bank of yabbies. We struck gold!!! we were now pumping roughly 6 per hole.

Anyway, grabbed our fresh bait, set the pots and proceeded to fish at our normal haunt in Gallaghers gutter. Normally, this place is full of small moses perch, bream and whiting. We were there for probably 15 minutes, when i decided to put the rod down for some much needed sunscreen. Put the rod in the holder, and halfway through putting the sunscreen on my rod goes beserk!!!! i called it for a stingray, but got a nice suprise of a 55cm Flathead.

After this it went quiet, so we decided to hit up another spot about a kilometre away. Its a nice little gutter through the sandbanks. A bit of casting around netted us a nice 28cm whiting!!

After about 30 mins, and not much luck, we decided to try our luck and head up past Donnybrook towards tripcony bight. Having not fished here before, i had to make sure we werent inthe green zone!!

We anchored up, and within 5 minutes, the old man pulls in a healthy 45cm flatty. 2-0. At this point we were exstatic. this is the best we had ever done here, andwithmany, many donuts previously, it was good to take home a feed. throughout the next 2 hours, we managed to have a field day. Another 6 flathead were caught, all ranging from 25cm to 60cm.

We also managed to catch another 10 whiting, ranging from 22cm to 32cm. There were some big boys in the bunch. After a few hours, we decided to call it quits. We didnt want to drain the spot on our first trip!!

It was a good day, with 8 Flathead and 11 whiting caught. A few were kept for a feed for the 3 of us, whith the rest going back. All fish were caught on live yabbies, with all flathead being taken on 6pound leaders, and fished very, very light sinkers.

Im looking forward to the next trip up there!!!

it was good to break the drought

We have fished there probably 10 times in the last 6 months, and always caught undersized moses perch & bream...

I think there is a lot of potential up there.

What it taught us was to get out and explore more, you never know what you will find by changing spots

Archived