one for the poor plastic fishos

so i was sitting there bored of grade 12 assigments (as one feels after around 5 minuets) thinking of a way i could weight my flies, i thought of soldering lead onto a hook, turns out after a couple of quick attempts i couldnt get the lead thin enough to use on my 5wt.

however i did manage this, kinda (but not really) like berkleys tt hidden weight system.

weights around 2 grams, and after a pack of hooks, pinching dads soldiering the jig head costs me 20 cents :cheer:

some things ive thought of:

[ul]i had to first wind some light gauge wire as the lead wont stick to the nickle plated hooks

[/ul][ul]i had to make the bottom heavier so it wont spin in the water[/ul]

[ul]i cut the excess wire off, next time i was thinkinking i should leave it on and bend it back to act as a hook as most jigs have to keep the plastic on.[/ul]

[ul]it would be possible to make a mould out of blue tack, that way i could get the jig bigger and form a better shape[/ul]

i would be interested to hear your thoughts

sorry for hopeless quality pics but you get the idea tt2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

You can get a lead core wire that can be wrapped around the hook before you begin to tie your flies. Available from most tackle stores that stock fly tying gear. i used it myself making intermediate bread flies for bream and mullet down south.

Good effort on the other hand mate, nice to see somenone getting hands on when a product isn't readily available

Felix

Mr FeLiX wrote:

You can get a lead core wire that can be wrapped around the hook before you begin to tie your flies. Available from most tackle stores that stock fly tying gear.

Felix

the problem is though as far as i know there arent any fly tying shops near me (samford) i think the clostest is near the city?

thanks for the tip though

Yeah mate, the only places I know of are The Tackle Warehouse at cooparoo/Camp Hill and Fish Head at Cleveland. Both these stores stock ample amounts of fly tying gear, don't know about out your way but mate.

I'll have a look into it for ya

Felix

Archived