NW Winds Bah Humbug!

Smithy

Fished Friday in NW winds. Was swinging from NW to W a bit and each shower that came through was accompanied by a 12knoter that would drop back to about 8knots in between times. Much better than forecast and I am glad the boys decided to go. I was nearly going to cancel and it was a suck it and see trip as I thought we would be blown off the water and it would just be a dawn snapper trip. We got in nearly a 3/4 day before we were bagged out and wanting to get back to process their fish before their wives got here. I have seen guys turn around and go home because it has been blowing NW at the ramp but I have had a couple of good days now on NWers. I have also had absolute shockers so there is no hard and fast rule.

My crew consisted of a bloke from my old work, Vaughan, a guy I virtually grew up with, Paul and Paul's brother in law, Warren. We started on one reef but did no good so headed to the next one out. Straight up Vaughan was onto the best fish of the day peeling heaps of line. Sure enough a mid 70cm snapper popped up that would have been around the 10lb mark. Long story short we got our bag limit as they kept biting all day long in the grey conditions.

3>70cm, 2x38cm and the rest all in the 40s, 50s and 60s. Proabably a 2.5-3.0kg average with biggest three all genuine 10lbers. Lost around 10 to pulled hooks and a couple of bust-offs. Heavy day on tackle with schoolies or bonito stealing a few rigs too. It was my best ever bag out session for quality on plastics but I have had bigger days for numbers before and when using bait, better quality at times.

Pic043s.jpg

Pic046s.jpg

Pic048s.jpg

Pic050s.jpg

Pic052s.jpg

Went the next day but it was bright and sunny and they went off the boil straight away. Still got half a dozen and missed a few more. Went wide and chipped away at more squire and pearlies. Also a 46cm Piggy which was a surprise at that size.

Pic059s.jpg

Pic057.jpg

Day after and I did the parrot spot again.

Pic061s.jpg

Archived