Double Island Point

fishingfon

Hi, I have just got back from my trip to Double Island Point, I was camped at freshwater camp ground which turned out to quite a nice camp ground, the weather was appalling, the was a swell height of over 3m, heavy winds, and raining like mad, so spent most of the time fishing from the beach.

Day 1

Got up at 3am and went to the sand spit down at the end of the leisure track (at least that’s what I think it is called) I cast my light spin stick out with a size 1/0 hook and a bait of mullet, and my surf caster with a size 3/0 hook and a bait of octopus tentacle, I also put can of tuner cat food with lot of small holes in it out as burley, just as the sun started to come up (about 5am) I got a 2ft shovel nose ray on my light spin stick, then 2 minutes later I got a 27cm bream on my surf caster, then about 10 minutes later I got what I think is a conger eel

post-7890-14459853705_thumb.jpg

(if someone can tell if that is right I would be very grateful) I stayed there till about 10am but got no more bites so left.

At about 10.30am I went to where the Fraser Island ferries dock over night, I cast my light spin stick out on to the sand flats with a size 1 long shank hook and cured prawn for bait, about 10 minutes later I got a small bite so I reeled my rod in to see if the was still on there and the hook had been bitten of, that happen about 10 times, the i changed to a short piece of 40lb wire, cast that out but when I reeled that back in I found it had also been bitten of, so I changed to a piece of 150lb wire to find out what it was, I got bitten of about another 3 or 4 times, but I got it hooked on the tail and it turn out to be a 35cm green toad fish, I then accidently caught a sea gull, the line had got caught around its wing when i was trying to wade out to get it in to get it untangled when I herd a big splash from underneath my feet then I felt something moving, I looked down to see a ray about 80cm wide swim away after losing almost all my hooks I decided it was time to move, I tried all over the place to no avail, so went 4wding for a bit, at about 5pm i went to inskip point to try and get some tailor, i cast out whole pilles on 5/0 gang hooks till about 11pm, in that time i got 17 under sized tailor the biggest going 29cm and 1 flathead going 41cm

post-7890-144598537017_thumb.jpg

Day 2

Got up at 3am went u[ to inskip point to try and get a legal size tailor, cast out some unweighted big pilles on 5/0 gang hooks with my with my light spin rod, first cast got me a 41cm tailor

post-7890-144598537002_thumb.jpg

did a few more casts with some big pilles but only got a few more small tailor, by then i had run out of pilchards, so casted out octopus tentacle on a 3/0 hook with a 20lb trace and 5lb main line, got 12 more under sized tailor, i fished till about 2pm then went home

Nice work mate - sounds like plenty of fish were caught. We had to postpone our Teewah trip as my mate with the 4WD couldn't get out of work - $%#*ing used car salesmen!!!!!!!! Judging by the weather in Brisbane I didn't think we'd missed out on much but from what I can gather it wasn't too bad up there?

Cheers,

Kelvin.

Archived