Great morning at coochie.

rayke1938

Shame no fish.

Launched at Redland bay marina around 5am and caught around 5 mullett and 50 herring in one throw of the cast net.

Got to use my new live bait tank set up and found I will have to modify the outlet. I had placed some wire over it to prevent the fish escaping or blocking the outlet but found that when the herring get a bit tired they were sitting crosswise over the outlet and blocking it.

Dropped 4 dillys near red on ne corner of coochie and anchored up on a bit of reef nearby.

Had 2 live mullet around 6inches long out one under a float and one on the bottom.

I tried the cutting off the bottom of the tail fin and it worked a treat the bait under the float didnt surface once even with a strong tidal run.

Also threw out small live herring with no result.

Cut up a herring in half and tried that out and bang. Every time a small sweetlip around 9 - 10 inches long or else a small squire. Must have caught 20 or so of them but alas no big brothers.

Tried a couple of soft plastics but they were only interested in the half herring.

After the tide turned around 10ish I tried trolling to see if I could pick up a tailer but all I managed was a grinner so I pulled the dillys and scored 2 just legal sandys.

So no fish but still an enjoyable morning.

Ray

Archived