Offshore Goldy - 23/01/11

Genesis

With the recent arrival of my 2nd child and the unfortunate flooding, I thought I might never find the time to wet a line again but thankfully with the in-laws in town and the lovely wife granting me a day-off, I managed to secure 3 spots for Kevin, Aston and myself on BK Fishing charters for a morning charter session off shore from the Gold Coast.

The 1st hour went by pretty ordinary before the action slowly started to heat up and boy did it go off with a bang! Kevin and I brought in our own 'light' gear and we were really the only ones who were getting hits after hits from the mackerels. The action was fast and furious with more than one occasion of double hock-ups and I was fortunate enough to bring in the best fish of the day - an angry Spanish Mack that took me around the boat 3 times, diving so hard that I had to dip the top half of my T-Curve into the water to keep it away from the bottom and the props, and finally after 15 memorable minutes, the tired fish decided to give up and surface. The non-stop pace continued for the next 2 hours and I even managed to help 2 other chaps to get onto their first mack by setting the hook tight and handling the fight over to them :whistle:

At the end of the session, it was 1 spanish + 1 spotty to myself, 4 spotties to Kevin, 1 spotty to Aston and at least 1 spotty each for the rest of the crew. It was a fantastic day out for all of us and really very lucky to hit the right spot at the right time with the right gear. Definitely one of my best charter experience in a long time. The sound of a screaming drag still echos in my ears today... :lol:

Thanks for reading.

post-8218-14459856985_thumb.jpg

post-8218-144598569859_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys. Charter fishing can be a bit of a "hit n miss" affair and I am just glad the day worked out very successful for us.

Nice fish. What was the "light" setup that you were using? I have a charter to use from an Xmas present and wondering if I could use one of my own setups when I go. What were you catching the macks on?

lol... my gear is "light" compared to what's available on the charter boat. I was using a 5-10kg rod with a Daiwa 3000 reel. Kevin went even lighter with his 4-7kg Redback and also a size 3000 reel. All the charter rods were 15kg min with size 18000 Shimano reels. I would suggest you bring your own combo along and you can always switch over to heavier gear if the situation calls for it.

ALL macks were caught on floating out pillies 20-30m from the back of the boat. Kevin was spinning slugs and I reckon it played a part in tempting the macks closer to our boat.

Awesome work mate! Good on you for sharing too. What are the specs on the combo in your mouth there??

Cheers Scope. The specs are central/Lateral incisor, canine, molar and wisdom tooth still intact, all capable of 200lb of chewing pressure :laugh: jokes :P

The rod is a Shimano T-Curve Powerspin 672 (6'6" & 5-10kg) paired with a Daiwa Certate 3000 loaded with 20lb braid.

There were some scary moments with lines being crossed, o and the biggest thing caught on the day was around an 18 cruise craft that for some reason came right across the back of the boat even though we were floating lines with balloon.

Aside from that was a great day, one of my most productive charters aside from Lord Howe.:silly:

Thanks Dave and KAF.

thats a good spanish on 20lb thats the line weight i got mine on as well on monday good to see you had heaps of fun they do go well

mark

Cheers Mark. Every time I pull them closer to the gaff he just sped off like a freight train . Seems like you boys had a great day out as well :lol:

niiiicccceeeeee!!!B) you are one up on me there mate!:woohoo: never caught a spaniard before.

LOL!! Probably only temporary for that one species, Wes :whistle: I still have heaps of catching up to do to even come close to your success.

Thanks again everyone for your kind words.

Archived