Breaky Creek and Newstead Park

TheOutfitters

Hi All,

Mrs O and myself have recently fitted ourselves out with a Hobie Outfitter and some light estuary gear. She is bait fishing and I have smaller plastics and hard bodies. 2-4kg rods and 5 - 6kg line. We read a bit about good fishing around Newstead Park and Breakfast Creek.

What would we expect to get there, and when is the better time to fish it. Or do we need to leave it longer yet for the fresh to clear. If there are jew and threadfin there, is our gear going to be a bit light.

Any hints / tips for a couple of noobs greatly appreciated.

Cheers

The O's. ;)

Congrats on the yaks.

How are your paddling skills?

Breaky Creek is a smooth paddle but as Newstead Park fronts the river, the current and waves can be a handful to handle.

Even on smooth days, boating traffic can throw up some good size waves.

I haven't fish there for a long time but IMO, your outfits should handle most of what can be caught in the area. I don't fish any heavier than that in the river.

Initially, I suggest you time your trips for one hour on either side of high & low tide. This will at least reduce the water flow you'll need to cope with.

Luc

from what i've heard, threadies have soft mouths ... can't skull drag them ... heavier gear may not be useful ...

besides, i've seen a 15kg stingray being pulled in with a tiny 4500 reel with 10lb line ...

gear should be good enough ...

tides there are pretty strong ... from memory an hour before, during and after change of tides the current is not running quite as fast ...

have fun ... prawns should be running soon too :)

Archived