Sat Arvo Mud

jimjim

post-3071-144598619876_thumb.jpg

We put in at pink and were out in the middle of the channel in neutral about a 100m from the ramp stuffing around with the bait and we we were drifting out towards the mouth on the run out, when a crab pot float goes past us at about 4 knots heading towards the gateway what the hell. we grabbed the gaff and started to pull the pot in, by now its bloody heavy and i start to give oldmate a hand to pull it in and with 2 reasonably fit blokes there is alot of weight on the end and then bang off it comes thank christ. Would have been a bully 140kg stuck in the pot :woohoo: . Pulled the pot out of the water and had 8 very good sized muddies and a dozen or so sandies talk about stuffed and a large whole in the bottom. The pot had pro tags on it i dropped the pot back in out of the channel with all the crabs still inside, as i put thiefs in the same boat as paedophiles with no bungs about 25klm NE of the Cape. Before some of you get on your high horse i have never pulled another mans pot but when its doing 4knots against the run out what would you do. 6 klm further on i find the pro workin his gear and let him no where his pot is, which he is thankfull but unsure whether or not we are tellin the truth. But one good turn deserves another and Iam rewarded with a nice Jew.

With the forecast looking pretty average for saturday decided to have a fish on the Grazier wreck but all was quite the usual suspects under size snaps in there 1000's and finger marks. Made a move before last light put out the only livies we had at the time a whip tail, not long after pulled up some good sized silver trevs and a dozen or so GT's only a couple kgs but real good fun on 4lb and 10 lb fins. Not long after zzzzzzinng a good 70m run on 7kg of drag a few more good runs and on board came a nice 85cm Jew. I havent fished around mud for at least 2 years as i normally stick to the northern part of the bay, a good fall back plan on a windy day.

Bent Rods

Jimjim

post-3071-14459861988_thumb.jpg

post-3071-144598619876_thumb.jpg

70m run under 7kg of drag is a lot for a 85cm jewie mate.

a 85cm jew under 7kg of drag might only be able to run for about 5-10m then it'll turn the head and give ya couple headshades.

or that you might've been only applying 1.5kg of drag and the fish prob ran 40m which's more reasonable. test ur drag and u'll see, sometimes what u percieves to be LOCKED drag is only couple kilos. ;)

Riverrat in reply budy my drag is set via a t bar scale handle, unless the scale is lying for that certain rod and reel 7kg isnt alot. Max drag with Jack Erskine carbontex drag washers is 24kgs and i set it for 7 in the bay outside deep tempest i run it at 15. i love people that get on here and tell me how much drag and how to catch fish LOL love it. Oh and riverrat it was caught in 4m of water.

very nice.

I was there last weekend at about 2 in the morning. I had a whole squid out on a double rig. got onto a huge fish was peeling drag off my twinpower 10000 and then unfortunately my mates line which was lighter braid wrapped around mine and due to tension the line snapped. i believe it was one of these fellas yet a larger model. they are definitely there though.

Riverrat in reply budy my drag is set via a t bar scale handle, unless the scale is lying for that certain rod and reel 7kg isnt alot. Max drag with Jack Erskine carbontex drag washers is 24kgs and i set it for 7 in the bay outside deep tempest i run it at 15. i love people that get on here and tell me how much drag and how to catch fish LOL love it. Oh and riverrat it was caught in 4m of water.

make it 7kg and 20m run then. 80m is a hell lot if you actually measure it

Archived