how to balloon rig ?

Greenmachine

Ive read plenty about how to balloon rig to get my bait out but I can only find methods that keep the bait floating under the balloon untill a fish takes it then breaks from the balloon.

What I want to do is use the balloon to take my bait out and once I get it out where I want it, I want to release it from the balloon to bottom fish.

I have done this with Mad Mullet before where we just put the barb of the hook holding the bait through the balloon and to release it just gave a hard snap back on the line and the balloon would break free.

We were using kilo plus size baits though that were cable tied to the hooks so could withstand a good snap back on the line without disturbing the bait.

I want to do this with alot smaller baits like 20cm mullet without cable ties and dont want to loose my bait when snapping back.

Anyone have any suggestions? Mad Mullet where are you now? I'm sure you would have a method for this this

I am not 100% sure how to do this, but I suggest becasue it is getting much colder,pick a nice hot day (the hottest it can get in winter) and keep the balloon on because the sharks will hang where it is warmer (near the surface) My suggestion any way, other people might have a different opinion.

take a length of main line and pull through the balloon knot before you pull the balloon knot tight ... when at desired distance give it a couple of "strikes" ...

works best in calmer conditions ... if a big wave breaks over the set up it'd pull the line out and restart process required ...

Thanks for the repies guys. I'll give it go over the weekend.

I'm not trying to pick up sharks at momment but cant wait till it warms up again.

I want to try this off the end of the seaway wall on run out for maybe Jew, kingy or what ever else

takes a liking. Next thing will be getting the balloon/ bait out off the rocks without problems.

Cheers Rob

[quote name="Greenmachine" post=340852

I want to try this off the end of the seaway wall on run out for maybe Jew' date=' kingy or what ever else

takes a liking. Next thing will be getting the balloon/ bait out off the rocks without problems.

Cheers Rob

I use to do this when i was without a boat, but you need a sinker to cast it out far enough,had a few kingies this way

Fishing for kingi's in kiwi land we used to use a small bait catching rod (after you got enough bait), tie the balloon to the small rod and leave it in freespool, then thread the mouth of the balloon through the eye on your swivel (not sure what size we used but it came out easy if something took the bait or we yanked on it) then when it's where you want it to be just wind in the slack on the bait rod and yank it hard, you get to keep the baloon and have successfully used the same baloon for 10 baits before. good way of getting a cut bait out off a beach if you have a good tail wind too, kinda like a cheap kontiki. caught a 15lb snapper off the beach once, had to put my bait out 250m to get near a reef

Archived