battery acid on alloy boat

coker

Hey guys, had a spare battery sitting in my anchor well last weekend which ended up turning over and spilling some acid through the hull of the boat.

I have thoroughly washed it with fresh water and also flushed some bi-carb soda through the hull from the front of the boat, haven't pulled up whole floor yet though.

Will the acid end up ruining my hull or the polystyrene under the floor? And is it worth pulling up the whole floor up this weekend and scrubbing it out?

Cheers coker

Hey guys, had a spare battery sitting in my anchor well last weekend which ended up turning over and spilling some acid through the hull of the boat.

I have thoroughly washed it with fresh water and also flushed some bi-carb soda through the hull from the front of the boat, haven't pulled up whole floor yet though.

Will the acid end up ruining my hull or the polystyrene under the floor? And is it worth pulling up the whole floor up this weekend and scrubbing it out?

Cheers coker

yea mate we had a battery explode in our old boat and we had to pull everything out and wash it... we got some truck wash and the gurnie.... seemed to do a good job

I don't reckon it will ruin your polystyrene. if you thoroughly washed the hull i worry about lifting the floor.. Would could leave the bungs in & flood the hull and wash it back & forth by lifting & lowering the trainer at the tow hitch a few times?

the acid should give it a good shine at least :whistle:

i had it happen 6 years ago in my tinnie, dad just said to pour vinegar through the hull then wash it good and proper, i done the vinegar followed by putting bungs in and fill the hull enough to cover affected area. i was paranoid that it will wreck the boat but it has been ok since.

Archived