Advice on Batteries

shivvy09

Hi guys I am sure this has been brought up a tonne of times I have read past posts, but I am still lost as to what type of batteries wil be suitable for what I need and how to work out what is suitable.

This is what I have 25hp, 4.5m Clark Tinny.

What I want electronically done:

- Nav Lights

- GPS/Sounder (its one unit) LCX 19C

- Bilge pump

I am yet to buy the Bilge pump and Nav Lights some advice on those..as well HOW would I wire these things up? I have seen some diagrams but earthing, fuses and so on any advice :o? Thanks guys

Ok well u have nothing that draws much current. I take it your motor isnt electric start? Does it have a charging line coming from your motor.I would just get a small marine cranking battery as its cheeper than a deep cycle and are alse able to be purchased almost anywhere. You do not earth 12v dc in boats. It's only posative and negative. If you live or can't get to bald hills I can wire it up for you. It will Take me about 1 hour.

http://www.sidewinder.com.au/page129.html Is a good place for info to work out what size battery you need.Have a read of all the FAQ it will help you understand the principles required.

Under no circumstances earth anything to the hull .

Other things to consider are what other accessories you wish to fit in the future.

Does your outboard have a charge circuit and what amperage?

Fit LED nav lights they are more reliable and draw less current.

What is the current drain of the lowrance? It should be in the handbook.

If you motor is manual start I would guestimate around a 40ah or 60ah deep cycle which would run your led lights and sounder for a weekend providing that you do not have the sounder turned on all the time and have some reserve for bilge pump without having to recharge the battery

Cheers

Ray

Thanks guys! Having been looking, I need to find out what the lowrance's drain as I have bought it second hand without the hand book. If it was you doing this what size battery/type would you look at? If upgrades were in mind. If I were to buy a electric I would want to buy a separate battery but not right now. Also, how do I find out if the outboard has a charge circuit?? Thanks guys

Ok well u have nothing that draws much current. I take it your motor isnt electric start? Does it have a charging line coming from your motor.I would just get a small marine cranking battery as its cheeper than a deep cycle and are alse able to be purchased almost anywhere. You do not earth 12v dc in boats. It's only posative and negative. If you live or can't get to bald hills I can wire it up for you. It will Take me about 1 hour.

Hi dunny!! thanks mate...but I am a good 1 hour away from you unless I bring it over to you one weekend but I am a casual worker/uni student my times off are weird!!!!!! If I can and when I get a list of things that I need to wire up the tinnie I will give you a buzz on advice! or get you to help :lol: Thanks a lot mate!!!! I'd probably blow myself up! I am studying civil engineering hated my electrical engineering courses LOL!

your motor with have two electrical cable's coming out of the motor to be attached to a battery so you can charge the battery while your motor is on.

if i were you i would just get a normal marine battery. there are a few reason why i wouldnt get a deep cycle for now.

-most cranking batteries are dual purpose crank/cycle. something about 400cca will also be about 40amp hour.

- a deep cycle battery requires a good guality battery charger.a normal battery can get away with something from supercheap auto etc.

-deep cycles are heavier batteries than cranking

either way a deep cycle or cranking (dual purpose)battery will do what u want. your budget is what will limit you.

your motor with have two electrical cable's coming out of the motor to be attached to a battery so you can charge the battery while your motor is on.

if i were you i would just get a normal marine battery. there are a few reason why i wouldnt get a deep cycle for now.

-most cranking batteries are dual purpose crank/cycle. something about 400cca will also be about 40amp hour.

- a deep cycle battery requires a good guality battery charger.a normal battery can get away with something from supercheap auto etc.

-deep cycles are heavier batteries than cranking

either way a deep cycle or cranking (dual purpose)battery will do what u want. your budget is what will limit you.

Thanks, I was looking at the pros and cons for deep cycle it seems that I don't need it on the basis mate and I are only going to use it rarely at night and the sounder is what we are mostly going to use. As we are new with boating we aren't too keen on night fishing unless its somewhere we know fairly well or we have some help navin' with someone experienced. I will take a look at the motor and get some more info any idea of things I would need for the wiring then I can start getting a list and buying the stuff! Thanks! :side:

if i was you this is what i would be using/buying

-switch board.(small 4 gang from bias or whitworth are about $30)

- water proof j-box

- cable

- all your accessories (bilge,nav sounder etc)

- smaller fuses (the ones that come with the switch board are 10/15amp, which is stupid. hardly anythign on a boat pulls that current)

- lugs and crimper (technically everything should be soldered but crimping is quicker)

- heat shrink tube.

-battery terminal clamps (some new batteries dont need them as they have bolts that thread onto the terminal.

thats all i can think of for now.

apart from your accessories you should be able to get all that stuff above for under $100 if you shop about

if i was you this is what i would be using/buying

-switch board.(small 4 gang from bias or whitworth are about $30)

- water proof j-box

- cable

- all your accessories (bilge,nav sounder etc)

- smaller fuses (the ones that come with the switch board are 10/15amp, which is stupid. hardly anythign on a boat pulls that current)

- lugs and crimper (technically everything should be soldered but crimping is quicker)

- heat shrink tube.

-battery terminal clamps (some new batteries dont need them as they have bolts that thread onto the terminal.

thats all i can think of for now.

apart from your accessories you should be able to get all that stuff above for under $100 if you shop about

under $100 we were talking to some guys at BCF it was going to cost like $200+... What amph battery should we be looking at + charger if you could point me in the direction of some shops aswell!

Archived