Lookout ! Bumper season ahead

ellicat

Following last summer's big wet the ecology has kicked into gear and provided plenty of food for the nastiest of predators - the snake.

Having a chat to my old man in Texas the other day and he was telling me the snakes are appearing in numbers already. With blacks and browns even showing up in the main drag.

So all the freshwater fishos doing a bit of bush or grass bashing keep an eye on your path.

Here's a link to some first aid info. Worth a read/look (even as a refresher). It might save someone you know.

Good luck :)

/>http://www.avru.org/firstaid/firstaid_snake.html

First Aid Information: Snakebite (all land and sea snakes)

in

bite

first aid

sting

Phone or send for medical assistance.

Reassure the patient and encourage them to remain calm.

Have the patient remain as still as possible. Do not attempt to catch or kill the snake.

Apply a pressure bandage to the envenomed limb (see below). If the bite is to the trunk, apply firm pressure to the bitten area. Do no restrict chest movement.

Splint or sling the limb to restrict movement. Where possible, help should be brought to the patient rather than moving the patient.

/>http://www.avru.org/firstaid/firstaid_pib.html
/>http://www.avru.org/files/imported/firstaid/factsheet_pib.pdf
/>http://www.avru.org/firstaid/firstaid_pibmovie.html

Pressure Immobilisation Bandaging (PIB) : Applying a pressure immobilisation bandage

in

first aid

pressure immobilisation

Immediately: If others are present, have someone phone for medical assistance. If unable to phone, send someone for help.

Reassure the patient and encourage them to remain calm and still.

First Aid for Bites to the Lower Limb

As soon as possible, apply a broad pressure bandage from below the bite site, upward on the affected limb (starting at the fingers or toes, bandaging upward as far as possible). Leave the tips of the fingers or toes unbandaged to allow the victim’s circulation to be checked. Do not remove pants or trousers, simply bandage over the top of the clothing.

Bandage firmly as for a sprained ankle, but not so tight that circulation is prevented. Continue to bandage upward from the lower portion of the bitten limb.

Apply the bandage as far up the limb as possible to compress the lymphatic vessels.

It is vital to now apply a splint. Bind a stick or suitable rigid item over the initial bandage to splint the limb. Secure the splint to the bandaged limb by using another bandage, (if another bandage is not available, use clothing strips or similar to bind). It is very important to keep the bitten limb still.

Bind the splint firmly, to as much of the limb as possible, to prevent muscle, limb and joint movement. This will help restrict venom movement. Seek urgent medical assistance now that first aid has been applied.

First Aid for Bites on the Hand or Forearm

1 As soon as possible, apply a broad pressure bandage from the fingers of the affected arm, bandaging upward as far as possible. Bandage the arm with the elbow in a bent position, to ensure the victim is comfortable with their arm in a sling. Leave the tips of the fingers unbandaged to allow the victim’s circulation to be checked.

2 Bind a splint along the forearm.

3 Use a sling to further prevent limb movement.

Your not wrong, I was fishing for bass around Mudgeeraba last weekend, took a step down a steep bank to one of my favorite spots and noticed a good 9 odd foot long coastal carpet coiled right where my foot would have gone...

I am fine with snakes, have kept and bred them for the last 5 years so I just walked over him and left him to be.

Just re enforced the fact that when bass fishing you should always wear boots and long pants if trekking through scrub.

Just to confirm what Brian has just put up we had a 45cm eastern brown in out office here at seventeen mile rocks about 8weeks ago need i say it was shown the door very quickly :whistle: :whistle:

so just take care around the water ways once the temp starts to get up in a hurry.Always make as much noise as you can walking along river banks because snakes will go the other way when the feel vibration's on the ground

Your not wrong, I was fishing for bass around Mudgeeraba last weekend, took a step down a steep bank to one of my favorite spots and noticed a good 9 odd foot long coastal carpet coiled right where my foot would have gone...

I am fine with snakes, have kept and bred them for the last 5 years so I just walked over him and left him to be.

Just re enforced the fact that when bass fishing you should always wear boots and long pants if trekking through scrub.

Mudgeeraba has some great fishing spots for Bass, so now i know whos stalking my Bass :lol::lol:

Cheers

Darren

Hahaha, yeah I like to get down there as much as I can and get amongst them.

Just need the big girls to get back up there, wont be too long now though...

If this year has anything on last year it will be great, we had so many sessions last year fishing only surface and getting 20+ easily... Its a great area to fish, so many options...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived