Increased patrols by DPI/waterpigs?

benno573

Hi all,

I'm classing this as a good thing - I'm sure some may not...

I have noticed a marked increase in the number of inspections/patrols by the DPI or water police of late. Personally, I think it is a positive thing in having a visible presence on the water. Makes people think twice about doing the wrong thing or perhaps checking the rules n regs re safety gear before heading out. It's all on www.msq.qld.gov.au for boating safety and www.dpi.qld.gov.au for fishing sizes etc so there's no excuse really.

I've had safety gear/catch inspections on 4 out of my last 5 trips in the bay so if you're unsure of the rules might pay to check them out before you head out. If they're in a good mood you might get away with being ordered off the water or back to within the realms of smooth water or alike if your safety gear fails the test, of course there is a $300 fine for incorrect safety gear if they are not in a good mood.

Just thought I'd let everyone know - would ruin a good days fishing for sure.

Also, I noticed a post from one of our younger members regarding speeding in 6kn zones. You don't need a speedo - the rules are 6kn or no wash. For my boat, no wash is max of about 4.5kn on the gps, in the old boys yacht you can easily do 5.5kn. Anything more and the wash starts to get up there a bit. Most small tinnies will be lucky to hit 4kn and be classed as 'no wash'. The coppers often sit at the entrance to manly boat harbour and book people - especially now the 6kn zone has been extended out by about 50m or so.

Hope this helps a few out or encourages them to check the rules before hitting the water.

All this because there's no decent fish to report about after Sunday's trip!! :P

Cheers,

Benno <><

I agree Patrols are good for boating in general, there are some twits out there. There has been a lot of patrols around Noosa as well. Last 5 trips to the reef have had 3 inspections. I just about know the fisheries by name now, ther pretty good blokes as long as you are doing the right thing.

Archived