Barra to bream session

Shimanobwoie

I left my house 7:15pm saturday night and wasnt looking forward to the long drive but I was quite anxious to get to the fishing spot early next morning. I arrived later that night at 10:30pm a quick unpack of the car and work out the game plan for the session. The plan was to start fishing at 4:30am sunday morning and fish for a couple of hours at the spot then call it quits at 9am. Being a small town it didnt take to long to get to one of the boat ramps neither did it take us long to get to the spot it would of only been a slow 5 minute ride in the 10ft tinnie.

On first arrival it was looking very fish with the sun just rising and the steam from the sugarcane water outlet pumping into the river. The mullet were thick on the surface feeding we tried to get a few even tried just to scoop them from the surface we soon called quits on that and began fishing. The first cast for all 3 of us seen instant hits from barra but they were very subtle and felt more like a whiting bite but the guys re-assured me that they were certainly barra hits. A few more casts later seen my mate hook onto abit bigger fish then they had been getting, we soon lost that afer a short battle. The rest of the time on the spot seen us with 7 barra mainly all the same size as the two in the photo.

The photos dont do this spot justice its amazing coming up to this spot...

Later that day/night i shot off to my favourite landbased spot I have fished. Normally the water is teaming with bait and always something chasing the bait then the bigger fish chasing those fish. It didnt start off very wall taking sometime to get a bite normally as soon as the bait hit the water you either had some cracker bites or you were on. I plugged away for the next few hours getting not alot. Decent bream on plastic, snapper and a cod on a barra classic.

There was a few small turtles on the surface, a few rays in the shallows and a decent shark out abit further maybe pushing 7ft that kept surfacing with its fins out but didnt seem to be feeding so i suspect thats why the fish were shut down.

Hopefully get back up there within the next few weeks to chase some more barra and go back to the other spot to try and get a few more fish.

P.S I didnt manage a barra on this session and the 2 locals beat me. The tackle i was using was more suited for the barra further north. Gameplan is to get another outfit a 2-5kg Bc and downgrade from 30lb braid and 40lb fluro to 10lb braid and 20lb fluro.

post-7896-144598691059_thumb.jpg

post-7896-144598691071_thumb.jpg

post-7896-144598691081_thumb.jpg

Are you sure those were mullet in the water outlet??

I used to chase Milk fish in the water outlet behind a mill further north, and the Barra up there

Yeah mate they were mullet. Its 25ft just a couple of metres from the bank so you dont have a very good chance to catch them in the net plus it was only a 6ft net didnt even think about taking mine up there.

Just curious which mill did you fish that had milkies? would love to catch one of them

Archived