Squid Lights

Oceandonkey

Mate asked me to go for some squid tonight and with the winter squidding post down i cant review the artical.

Can anyone advise what the best form of light is? whether its to buy those jigs with inbuilt lights or just to buy some snap on fluro lights?

Also should i be fishing the bottom or the top?

does shining a torch into the water help attract them?

Never been squiding before but looknig forward to it.

Also in terms of preperation for eating what is required for this? i wouldnt have a clue.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

OD

If fishing from a pier fish under the lights ;)

We used to tie a rope on the handle of a tilly lamp :pinch: now I feel old and lower it as close to the water as possible and tie it off so it hung there ;) gas lanterns would work the same

the old fashion squid jigs where you skewer a pillie on them work really well at night as they have the real sent etc

good luck let us know how you went :)

Gaz

I remember from a few years ago being in a boat anchored on the inside of Moreton not far from the weed beds at night, and having the squid coming up to the back of the boat to where the flood lights were shining. Were you going in a boat or landbased?

Cleaning them is pretty easy. Just google it and i'm sure there will be heaps. http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=cleaning+squid&meta=

On thing that is handy though and that I didn't read in any of the google responses, is, when cleaning the tube, actually turn it inside out and then you will be able to clean the inside alot better.

And dont pop the ink sac! It's messy!

Joel ;)

The answer to your questions:

Best light by far is the fluro snap stix(the ones ya snap and shake and it starts glowing) in green or red, attach about a foot above ya jig.

Fish the bottom or near as.

Suspend a light above the water level does increase your chances.

Cleaning squid is very ezy: rip its head off and freeze it for bait or keep for fresh bait, then peel the skin off from the tube, stick ya thumb in the top of the tube and turn it inside out, remove all the guts ,ink sacks and a like, wash tube clean. Ezy..

Archived