Gneerings & Murphy's

Black Formosa

Hi Guys, I've 10 days up the coast starting next week & thinking about trying to start venturing off shore a little, maybe starting at the Gneerings or Murphy's. Both these spots looks fairly close to Mooloolaba. What fish should I be targeting & on what sort of rig & bait etc. Is it too late for mackeral or too earlier for snapper. Any advice would be grateful.

I have never cleaned up there but they do get some good mackerel at times. It can get a bit busy as it is close to shore so you see people doing everything, anchored up, drifting and trolling. I think it was outer gneerings we were doing drifts and were hitting a nice long ledge with a lot of bait and fish piled up against it. Worth drifting til you find some good shows. The shallow reefs (under 30m) supposedly slow right down after 9 so if your boat is big enough might be worth checking out 12 mile if this wind and swell drops right off

Never too early or late for snapper. As far as I am concerned they are a year round fish.

I have caught several quality snapper (around 80cm) arounder the Outer Gneerings. Have also caught nice grassies. You will also get nice moses perch there.

If you going to fish there do it on a week day and hit it early. i.e. Baits in the water at very first light. Like Regulated said shallow reefs usually totally shut down after 8ish. I find drifting with as lightly weighted as possible pillies works well.

If you want to chase pelagics anchor up there and you will get anything from mackerel to cobia to mahi mahi and tuna there. The blinker is meant to be a hot spot.

Archived