Fishing in the outback

Gordo

Hi everyone

I was thinking about going for an outback adventure in the western downs (Miles, Chinchilla, Goondiwindi) area for a weekend with my brother. The idea came after we were thinking about when we were kids catching plently of golden perch, eel tail catfish and yabbies in the Diamantina river. Does any have any advice or great spots for freshwater fishing in the western downs??

Thanks

Ahh mate got grandparents at Chinchilla last time i was out their 2months ago there was about a 40x20 metre rectangle of water im unsure of depth. So not looking too flash and i dont think they have had any substantial rain. All those would be on the condamine i think so not looking to flash.

Oh yeah...I'm envious already..love the western rivers and dams.

From Goondi east to Inglewood and down to Texas there's a thousand spots to fish the McIntyre and Dumaresq rivers. There's a few dams too - Cooby, Coolmunda and a bit further east/south is Glenlyon (between Texas and Stanthorpe).

If you travel east from Goondi towards Yelarbon and Inglewood just cruise on down some of the sidetracks and they will generally lead to the river and sometimes some camping areas (self sufficient style).

Buy a $20 blow up boat from BigW before you go to launch some set lines for over night....You know the best snags are always on the other side;)

Cheers

Archived