Bar crossing course booked

Oceandonkey

well made our booking for the bar crossing course with Bill Corten just then.

will let you all know how it goes...if im still alive its booked for 14th august but he needs at least a metre of swell on the bar so it may be bumped back.

I dont know whether to be excited or scared because he said he only goes out in stuff surfers aim to paddle in to :woohoo:

$400 and thats with only the 2 of us (well 3 me my mate and him) on the boat. from what i have learnt from our discussions the morning is him doing all 3 passages through the bar, he anchors up and we do some theory then the rest of the arvo is us actually skippering the boat through the bar whole course takes 8 hours but he said he isnt a clock watcher and if required we can go till dark.

If we take a 3rd it goes to $380 each but i would prefer just the 2 of us means more 1 on 1 tuition.

and the day is specific to what boat you will be doing the crossings in. I assume the leassons and teachings would be different for someone crossing in a 6m boat compared to an 8m boat so thats good as well.

To all you people out there thinking wtf he isnt going to cross in his 4.2m is he and the answer is no im not, im taking it simply to be a lookout and assist when my mate gets his 6.5m but still i think the safety of my life is well worth the $400.

I agree Bar crossing can be Dangerous and Safety comes First But I posted a thread here awhile ago about bar crossing and from the experienced People here who know these bars replied :)

That my 22 footer was better to venture out through the Seaway or Maloolabah ( think thats right) as the pin etc are too shallow for bigger boats :pinch:

So before spending money on what you don't need :silly: ask in here :)

Bars change all the time and what can be shown 1 day will be different the next :whistle:

It's your choice

personally I've crossed The notourious Narooma Bar when fishing the ANSA Tournament several times admittaly had a few hairy times but followed the advice from the locals and am still here ;)

Gaz

Oceandonkey wrote:

well made our booking for the bar crossing course with Bill Corten just then.

:woohoo:

Smart move OD;)

Sorry Gazza I should have read your comment 1st but I still say smart move. It will give him (OD) confidence.

Confidence is needed on coastal bars as often hesitation leads to problems. Note I say confidence not over confident.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/07/25 17:08

Np Brian you are right in what you say RE: Confidence but experience of what your boat can handle and how and where it can go are the key factors no matter of crossing bars or getting caught out in the deep blue wonder to cross a bar you need confidence

1 in your boat

2 your boat is suited will it handle the task

3 your ability to stay calm (panic is your worst nightmare)

but as you stated over confidence can get ugly real fast :(

4 this can NOT be learned in a day

Sure it would help but nothing will replace time on the water getting to know your boat ;)

Gaz

Yeah good stuff Gazza. I'm trying to figure out which is most true here but each point is equal in it's own way.

If your boat is not built or able to take it on, don't take it there.

And there i sno way you're going to learn it it a day - each day changes as do the conditions, swell tide etc.

But the real beauty is stay calm. Boats are meant to float but dumb ass people sink em and flip em.

Yeap good one Gazza

Yeah we will be crossing the south passage bar but not for a while, most probably try the others first to build confidence.

The course for us is not so much about being experts in one day nor are we expecting to learn everything there is to know in the 8 hour course

Its a stepping stone to give us the confidence to successfully tackle crossing a bar whilst having the theoretical knowledge learnt from the course to assist us.

I would pay $1000 to do the course. Would you all think i was sane if i said...hey guys going to cross the bar this weekend, wouldnt have a clue what were doing wish me luck!!! :woohoo:

this is the boat

OD Firstly NICE boat

I'm going to include a link to my first post on Bars where it might explain things :)

$1000 dollars for 8 hrs is BS :pinch:

A couple of hours sitting at a bars entrance watching boats crossing or ask Mack mauler if you can tag along would save you heaps of $ sorry Mac if I dobbed you in :P

It's not a critisium on your choice but an observation on how some people prey on the inexperiencd

Talk to those in the Know ;)
/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=237&func=view&id=27566&catid=3#27566

Hope this helps

Gaz

everything in life comes with a price....whether its direct or indirect note*i do realise that mack was joking :D refer to 2nd post in thread* http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=237&func=view&catid=11&id=23939#23939

I think were always going to have a difference of opinion on this one gazza. Ill let everyone know how it went once im done.

Archived