Difference between a "Top End Boat" and a "Cetre Console"??

billp

Guys,

Won't be able to get the new born in a yak for a few years, so I am starting my search for a boat. Probably won't purchase until next year, but I can at least put my feelers out there.

I want a Centre Console just for the fishability of them, don't care about the luxeries of other boats, just want something I can motor out in and pull fish in.

So looking at different brands and most have a centre console and a top end model, but I can't really see much of a difference, top end may be a side console?

I'm looking at a 5.5m so I can head outside on the better days, and be comfortable chasing the macks around the bay as well.

Any advice you can give me would be appreciated.

Bill.

I'm no expert but I would tend to agree with what tristan said. Usually a side console towards the back

A top end boat would be made for the norther territory/ far north queensland - hence the name. I think they're usually designed for barra/bream/threadies in the estuaries, whilst still being able to head offshore to chase pelagics or bottom bash.

Whats your budget like mate. If you can spend some cash look at a good plate boat, if not a tinny. After you see shane or teds boat cutting through the waves you will understand why. Ride is so much better. I can still get to the same places but if it chops up it hurts.

If you do have to go a tinny get a centre console that was built for that purpose. Mine has seats and it gets in the road big time.

Mate, I have had two c/consoles now and would not have anything else. I agree with "regulated" that seats can get in the road and as a result I chose not to put seats into my new boat. When I head out for a serious fish, I don't take seats with me. When I take the wife and kids out, I take out the folding camp chairs for them. It's the only way to go.

I have friends in brissy and darwin who have owned side consoles and had run them in the bay or Darwin Harbour and enjoy the side console on a really good day, but got really wet as the weather turned and they the were 8km from the boat ramp. The side consoles have a very low (if any) windscreens and being next to the side of the boat you will get wet in a cross wind in chop.

Also, I have two young kids a went for a boat with very deep sides for the kids safety. Centre consoles I have found generally are a lot deeper than the side consoles.

Hope it helps.

Ff

Archived