A day in the esturies

staunch_1

hey guys and girls this is my first fish report so go easy.

i hit a spot i used to fish as a young fella that always produced qlty bream and other species such as afew little cod and from what i can remember little queen fish or maybe trevaly cant be 100% as it was awhile ago.this was all caught on bait as i wasnt into soft plastics at that time.

i'm located up near kingaroy so its alittle trip for me when i head down to brissy to have a fish haha but i love to fish so driving acouple of hours doesnt bother me.i wanted to get there to have a fish 2 hours on the incommin tide and 2 on the out.

i left here around 8ish in the mourn and arrived at the spot around 12.i always fish 1 rod for bait and another for soft plastics.ya never know what the fish are gonna go for the fussy buggers.i only fish light.both my setups are just 3 to 6kg spooled with 6lb braid with a 20lb shock leader.

after rigging up i threw in a mullet fillet on the bait rod and decided to give a 4" nuclear chicken ago on the soft plastic rod.i'm pretty new to soft plastics so still learning.

as for the fishing i got around 10 little bream and got busted off around another 10 times haha there is some qlty fish here but fishing so light they just smash the bait and head straight for the mangroves.as for soft plastic fishing i didnt have any luck.i tried both 4" nuclear chicken and 3" minnow and came up with nothing but i will continue to fish soft plastics just need to play around with weight and retrieve.next time i thing i will be spooling up with around the 10 to 15lb mark

all in all i had a good day and there was alot of big hits on the surface all around where i was fishing.those that fish soft plastics out there what would use reccomend as surface soft plastic as i wouldnt mind hooking up to what ever they are.its still good to see there are alot of bream in the system still aswell.

i got 2 hours off the incomeing and out going tide most of the fish on the out going.next time i head down i will be takeing my yak and exploring alittle more with the sounder.

all in all it was a good fish.

here are acouple of pics of the spot and a undersized bream.

post-10523-144598839899_thumb.jpg

post-10523-144598839913_thumb.jpg

Sounds like a top trip mate!

It may be worth going a bit lighter if your main target species is going to be bream on the plastics.

Personally, I would be trying an 8lb leader.

As for the plastics themselves, you can't go wrong with 3inch damiki armour shads in skin blue.

Looks like a great spot to launch a yak too! Good luck and keep the reports coming

Jono

cheers for the reply guys.

i'm pretty new to braid and soft plastics i know thats abit of a laugh in itself haha but i've always been a mono man and always heard bad things about it untill recently so i purchased some fireline and all i can say is its brilliant stuff.

i'll be headin back down there tommorow with the yak to have alittle more of an explore and give the soft plastics another go.as i said before there was afair bit of surface action not sure what it might be but would be fun to hook up to so gonna give the walking dog retrieve ago.

just one more quick Q whens the best time of tide to fish in eustries.

Yeah i would suggest staying light on the plastics rod as they never catch much qaulity but get some heavier line with your bait rod as you have found out the big brutes will hit the bait every time, great report and welcome to the site

LOL Tugger you never miss an opportunity!!

Hi Staunch_1, I am also living in kingaroy, my dad and i have been heading down to donnybrook it takes just over 2 hours to get there, we stay at the caravan park there. There is a boat ramp handy to the park and we have been going out dropping a few pots, and having a fish. We have been getting good sized flatties on cooked prawns on the edge of the flats and bream on white bait in the main channels. we have also been getting the odd muddie as well using chicken frames soaked overnight. The donnybrook caravan is a great place to camp overnight if you can get in. fish light on the incoming tide and you should have a bit more success.

have yourself some good fishing

TROY

Archived