shorncliffe

nannah

I finallly got to go fishing last Saturday - decided to try the 'SHORNCLIFFE PIER', because reading the web site of 'ausfish' and looking at the maps - it looked like it could be a nice area. After driving for about 45mins to get there - what do we find - the pier is closed - it looked like the local council have allowed it to get into such a state that is was unsafe for use - there were some supports about 1/2 way along that appeared to be collapsed. Such a shame - it certainly looked good IF it had been maintained properly.

Ended up at Cabbage Tree Creek - but - the tide was wrong and then some great mobile dredge turned up to dredge some of the channel for a couple of hours.

We caught about 5 toads, 1 small whiting - but, it was still nice to be out there - I like catching fish, but I also just like being out on or near the water as I find it so peaceful (even with humanity noise) it is good for the soul.

We have now been in Brisbane for about 6 1/2 years and we have managed to go fishing probably about 5 times - hope, we can improve on those ratio's.

Have a look at this reports.

The status of the structures.
/>http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/downloads/facilities_recreation/parks_venues/shorncliffe_pier_report.pdf

Shorncliffe Jetty Newsletter
/>http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/downloads/facilities_recreation/parks_venues/shorncliffe_pier_newsletter_august_2012.PDF

Pretty sad that they shut it down as it used to be my favourite jetty due to distance from brisbane.

thanks for that info - it is a complete disgrace that they allowed the pier to get to that stage of disrepair, before attempting to do something about it - is almost seems like they need to start from scratch and completely rebuild.

There is an old saying - 'spend a penny and save a pound' - meaning if you fix a problem while it is only SMALL - it will save you having to fix it when it becomes a BIG problem and it costs you a lot more.

anyway,I had a good day out - didn't get any fish but - oh. well, what's new. I just like being out there.

Archived