Ballina and Coffs

powerfish

Hi all

I am travelling to Ballina and then Coffs in Mid November staying a few nights in each location.

Looking to do some fishing landbased in both locations -

In Ballina I will try light beach fishing (Lighthouse Beach?) for dart, whiting etc and also around the mouth of the Richmond River/Shaws Bay.

Similar style of fishing in Coffs but I haven't sussed out locations as yet.

Also looking for somewhere safe to take my 5 year old in both locations where she can catch a few fish - size is not important.

Any tips on general locations/target species that time of year etc would be appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

I went to coffs and in the roughest week of weather i just ended up fishing where the Co op is off the wharf caught lots of bream on lightly weighted prawns and lost a decent looking fish memory fails me as to what it was, maybe tether the 5yo so she doesnt go for a swim lol. Everyone seemed to do it just be mindful of boats coming in.

Saw plenty of bream and whiting and caught a little flathead from coffs harbour creek near the first bridge, very clean water and fairly shallow in that area probably more of a high tide spot. The beaches have to be worth a shot if the weather is nice but when i went it was 25kts SE and 3+m so i didnt fish the beach.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey mate,

I live just near Ballina and fish the place constantly. In regards for somewhere safe to take the kid for a bit of fun, try your luck at the trawler harbor in West Ballina. Throw a prawn out unweighted and the bream will be onto it. Obviously, night time is your best bet, but I've pulled in some thumpers at different times. You'll know within 10 mins if the place is on the bite or not. If nothing in that time, maybe try your luck in the river instead.

Best of luck mate.

Dibbs

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update:

Ballina - had one decent session in Shaws Bay with small bream (best 24.8cm). Found the fish holding just on the far side of the weed. The little ones were easy enough to surf over the top of the weed but did lose a couple of decent fish that took me in the weeds and I couldn't extract. Caught a couple of hering on fresh prawns and did put one out with a 3/0through its nose. I left the rod unattended in the holder while I kept fishing and turned around to find it gone :ohmy: Found the rod caught in the weeds with the line snapped above the sinker. mY 5 y.o. got a small breamand tarwhine

Coffs - tried of the beach where we were stating however lots of kelpie weed kept tangling around my line. No luck.

Tried Coffs Creek under the bridge for a couple of small whiting. It was the day after significant rain so was running quite quickly.

Cheers

Chris

post-811-14459888276_thumb.jpg

post-811-144598882768_thumb.jpg

Archived