Caught at the pin ?

Malcolm

No legal size, great eating. A word of warning- avoid what I think is the gall bladder (a little green sac) when you are filleting the fish. If you rupture this it releases a foul smelling ooze over the fillets and everything else it comes in contact with. If this happens you have to throw the fillets and fish out and possibly whatever else it comes in contact with as the smell can linger.

weird....i caught one of them down there years ago. if you leave them on wet sand they'll use their considerable pectorals to bury themselves - can make you think you're snagged if they do that while they're hooked....

Your spot on mate I thought I was snagged at first BTW it caught on a Thready Buster

I think a mate of mine caught one of these at nudgee beach, he was trying to pass it off as a cod, the only thing I was sure about it was that it definately wasn't a bloody cod. Wish I knew about this site back then. Anyways I've just taken a snappy of Mal's catch...well done by the way and sent it to old mate so let the fun begin haha. I wish he'd kept it and filleted it none the wiser about the dangers lurking beneath its skin.

Good stuff guys thanks for clearing that one up for me too!

Archived