Can't Wait!!!

bersim

Going to NZ tomorrow for the whole holidays. Going to do some skiing and snowboarding in Wanaka, and some fishing for trout. Will also go on the luge and segway. Fingers crossed the weather is nice. Would the trout be on the bite at the moment, as I really want to catch one?

James

I've never fished for trout in the Southern Hemisphere, but did a lot of it in the US. The only time I have ever seen trout NOT on the bite is when the weather got too hot and killed off the population. I've even caught them when ice fishing.

Are you fly fishing, lures, bait, etc?

I prefer fishing for them using Mepps Aglia spinners or small spoons but you can also use small hardbodies. Bait just use a number 6 snelled hook with a piece of worm on it (if fishing a stocked pond, use canned corn they love it) or salmon eggs. Those are the tactics I've always used in North America.

Oh, and don't forget that trout sit with their mouth facing upstream and snap at anything coming downstream. So, if using a spinner or spoon. make sure you cast at an angle so it drags against the current, but across a wider profile (better chance of coming across a fish and going against the current gives it a flashier aspect). Bait or hardbodies cast them upstream; let the bait drift down with the current, but reel in the hb fast enough that it has some action going for it.

Good luck and let us know how you go!

what lake or river you going to be fishing? im a local to that area.Make sure you read the fishing regulation manuel you will get when you purchase your fishing licence because most areas there are fly only and alot of places you cant use bait. using fish eggs is very illegal so plz make sure you know the regs or you can loose everything on the spot including hire car if you have one fish and game officers check up alot.

Archived