Compass repairs

Zoob

Mate can you pop a picture up of it please. If its the one of the ex army ones I can tell you exactly how to do it. Can you get a clear picture of the glowing paint for me. Certain stuff is actually pretty harmful.

Remove the two screws on the sides which are 180' apart. Lift out the center brass bit from the case. You'll see a flat bade screw on the bottom edge. Open it and top up with white spirits, you can press the thin brass diaphragm on the bottom to clear excess bubbles. Don't shake the bottle before filling or you'll get another bubble.

Lol....That glowing stuff is called tritium....radio-active. Also, you need to fill it up to design specs, otherwise it won't give you a correct bearing. This is due to the fact that each piece (depending on northern or southern hemisphere) is differen, with the disk being of different weights. Hope it works out for you mate, and as regulated said, if you can give the type of compass, this will go a long way to determine what you require.

Cheers,

Ryan.

Yeah a bit more info would be great. Different things can be sorted out with not much trouble.

If the glowing stuff is paint its radium, if its in the glass vials its tritium. In the old days the assemblers used to paint the radium on with a paint brush. To get a nice sharp edge on the brush tip they used to lick it then paint it on. Most of them lost a tongue or had serious medical problems.

Tritium is pretty safe unless the actual vial is broken. Its also a very low dose in the compass. The radiation can be blocked by a piece of paper.

Radium isn't quite so friendly. Gamma radiation and possible x-rays and it needs to be blocked by double layers of thick lead.

You have me a little worried with the talk of radium etc.

The only markings are on the base , which are D 4299, leads me to think it may be Ex-Military.

The main seal under the main brass ring, has detiorated which is how I think the fluid/spirit has evaporated.

I will take some photo's & post them up, once I read the instructions as I am technologically challenged.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yours glowing in the dark.

Craig

Any more suggestions/ideas.

Obviously a marine compass on gimbals, not hand held.

I have never seen it glow after lights out, so I think the radium theory may be incorrect, but need to be sure. There is a gasket/seal under the top brass plate & is definitely detiorated.

Cheers

Craig

That bezel looks a lot like an old Richie compass.

As for restorations,find a compass adjustor as they often collect old compasses and refurbish them for their collections.

Compass adjusters travel around from port to port adjusting the compasses on commercial vessels for their survey requirements.

I think the guy who did mine every year when it was due was from Ballina or somewhere around that area.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Would be nice if it was worth a few bucks as I have kept Issa Family possession, not really an heirloom, but if restored correctly , as you say, may be worth a $ or two.

Really appreciate your opinions.

Cheers

Craig

Archived