Bilge pumps

Greenmachine

What size bilge pump would you recommend for a 5.4m glass boat for off shore use.

It currently has 500 gph in it that is cactus so need to replace it.

Obviously the more flow the better but just wondering if there is a common range for boats of this size?

Automatic would be better than manual as well I would think but just thought Id put out the question incase there are pros or cons that I'm not thinking of

Cheers Rob

depending on what you use the boat for, you might be "recommended" to have a minimum size of 600gph. You can take recommended as compulsory because of the General Safety obligation. (45 litres per minute - maritime safety, bless their little hearts specify in litres per minute, even though most bilge pumps are rated in gallons per hour)

I'd be going something around the 1100 - 1200 gph mark, just to be on the safe side. Length of hose, rubbish in the bilge etc can reduce the pumps capacity.

I run two. A 5-600gph bilge I can control that is in a visable area and a 1200gph automatic that is in the lowest part of the boat when on the water. The visable smaller one is at the back of the boat and I use it when planing to drain excess water out. The auto one is turned to auto when doing bar crossings, anchored or camping like at wavebreak so you don't turn up in the morning with a sunken boat after springing a small leak.

You can get a 3 way switch for your auto pump. They usually come with the wiring. If all goes to poo turn it to on. If the pump sensor fails when its on auto you can still turn it off. If the sensor fails and its a wet pump you'll burn it out and have no safety.

Archived