outboard skeg repair

tyrion

After 12 mnths of looking at my broken skeg and not liking it the time came to do something about it. I suppose it helped that the etec computer was taken off for replacement under warranty just one less thing to worry about.

How it happened: after the drama of putting the big girl in the water by myself because of the inexperienced bloke i took out with me who then proceeded to tell me that these hooks were harming gods creatures and all sorts of dribble i didnt particularly listen to because i was to busy wondering why he bothered to come out with me. We got back to the ramp and i gave a simple instruction \" when we get to the pontoon jump out and hold the boat off\" ..........instead he leaned out and tried to push the boat off the pontoon while still in the boat????? confused, frustrated and generally peeved that id wasted the money to go out and listen to all his rubbish i did it myself.

when the boat was on the trailer i pulled her up the ramp only to realize that id not trimmed the motor up and the skeg was busted, about 2 inches missing off the bottom big mistake on my part and just topped off a cracker day.

Anyways i didnt get before photos which sux but here is one after

post-889-144598924422_thumb.jpg

The cuts where made like this photo below for strength

post-889-144598924799_thumb.jpg

Looks like a good repair. I had a similar problem - not your idiot mate - with 2 inches broken off the bottom of the skeg. Not being as handy as you obviously are, I took the easy option and bought one of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MERCRUISER-SKEG-GUARD-Mercruiser-Skeg-Protector-/290764083217?pt=AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43b2e3d011

Worked out fine. Easy to fit and looks pretty good as well.

Sorry scaley I can't see a pic but I'm guessing its like a sleeve that bolts on at the top near the gear case? Have seen these before and they looked pretty good.

Tomato I did consider repainting but it will just wear off again anyway so ill just leave it as it is for now

Just check out skeg guard on ebay and you will see what I mean, but it looks like you are sorted anyway.

Sorry scaley I can't see a pic but I'm guessing its like a sleeve that bolts on at the top near the gear case? Have seen these before and they looked pretty good.

Tomato I did consider repainting but it will just wear off again anyway so ill just leave it as it is for now

Archived