Tony Y

Hello all,

Pretty new to the whole forum thing but I thought I would reach out to get some advice or hear some experiences from others.

I’m in the market for a new boat and I am considering purchasing a Quintrex Fishseeker and modifying it to suit my needs, i.e. console, larger fuel tank etc.

One thing I would want to do is have more hp as the current max on the hull is 90 (maybe go up to 130/140hp).

knowing that I will have to get re-rated my question is should I be considering having to install a pod or just go straight off the transom as is? Which would perform better?

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Angry51 said:

Welcome to the forum Tony Y

I'd be looking at buying a boat to suit my needs.

By the time you make all the mods and the cost of them I'd reckon

it probably not worth it.

Just saying.

Thanks Angry51,

That was my initial thought also until I asked around and did some calcs. I’m pretty confident I could get it set up including the bells and whistles for around 50k.

Looking around at what the market is doing and the ‘Darwin’ factor that’s around 15-20k saving. Happy to be told otherwise.

There’s no rush either with the lead times on boats and motors at the moment so don’t mind having a project to work on.

Tony Y, another thing you may want to be aware of is, that not all insurance company's are OK with doing such a mod as well as the increase in horse power. I had one insurance company refuse me insurance just because I put in different seat bases. The motor will be much heavier, the balance pivot point will be different as the extra weight will not be supported in the water at the transom and will be hanging out by about 60cm, so handling may be somewhat compromised and you will also have to check out if the hull is designed to take a larger motor let alone having it extended out a distance.

You may be lucky and it might work well, but it may also handle like a pig too with cavitation in the turns amongst other issues. When pods came out and were all the rage, a lot of experimentations/modifications were done with mixed results, some good and the others no so good.

I built a pod  on a new 21ft hull I bought  about 25 years ago and did it because the hull/transom was designed for a sterndrive and I got a great deal on a used 225HP outboard, so I ended up with more room in the back but wasn't overly happy with the handling. It may end up being a gamble.

I am also with Angry51 on this one.

I’d advise against it as well. There’s a heck of a lot of difference between having a 90 on the back vs plonking a 140 on it. That’s fifty percent more power on a boat designed around doing a certain maximum speed. If the hull’s not designed for it it could start chine walking or even flip. The difference in motor weight would also make the hull sit more stern down. And most insurance companies may insure you, but reject a claim when they send their assessor out and discover the over-powered  engine.