Info on Gladstone region

Keen-as-fisho

I have been here in Glady for a month or so now and looking for more fishing options (aside from heading offshore). What I have been looking at and trying to get some more info on is the Wild cattle creek and Hummock Hill Island, for camping with the boat on the foreshore. I know of the ramp near the caravan park at Tanum Sands but it is very tide dependent but doable for a weekend, are there any other ramps in that area closer to the area I'm looking at? The locals tell me of a dirt road leading toward Hummock Island where on low tide they drive across towing boats/camper trailers but my fourby is at home so that's out :( Has anyone been there done that and can recommend a spot to camp there?

I was up there last year and did well around Rat Is - the mackeral came through from the bay side and were chopping at everything. If you can be at the second last red marker opposite Rat is on the change of tide, you can even get a couple of coral trout there. Otherwise, just outside around Curtis Is drifting close wil get you a feed of spangled emp.

Archived