popper rod to suit daiwa 6500

Samwilly123

Hey. If you have no luck on here try Fishwrecked in WA. I put up a post looking for a popping rod and had offers flying in from all over the Country. Ended up with Hots Gippang 83H for $350 delivered from Sydney. OWuld be perfect for what you're after. Guys even had Carpenter Coral Vipers and Ripple Fisher 79GT for sale and at good prices.

Kev scored a real bargain with that HOTs rod and I have personally seen Coral Viper 79/40 priced at low as $650 on Fishwrecked.

Other rods you can consider are the Temple Reef GT710-8 or GT78-10. The former is designed as a all-purpose GT rod that gives you the flexibility of casting poppers and stickbaits.

good luck with your hunt.

AAAAGH you're Set_to_destroy, yeah that's me on Instagram.

Like Glenn has suggested, I'd go for something that is a versitile built rod. My Hots is Mainly for popping but handles stickbaits extremely well, soft tip to work the SB's but heaps of power to pull 180g poppers with ease through the water.

yeah that's me! i was looking into the yamaga atlas 76/8 but i really want a longer rod for the distance and i feel that rod may be to light. ive also been looking at the ripple 79r seems to be what im kinda after.

im not rushing into it tho i didn't realise how much the wrong rod can effect your stamina as well as lure action. the rod i have now kills me i rushed into it and regret it dearly as it was a waste of $300 the could have gone into my new one, but i guess its all part of the learning curve. and its very unfortunate that fishhead moved just as i started getting into it. i thought finding balanced light tackle gear was hard that's a walk in the park to compared to this haha.

Hey Sam

I see you posted on Fishwrecked. I'll dig up my post and private messages and let you know what was on offer when I looked a couple months ago. Avoid the Shimano GT Special, I was dead set keen on it but thankfully Glenn put the brakes on me and I ended up with the Hots Gippang and I couldn't be happier (and got a great deal on a $850 brand new rod). The GT special is like a broomstick and it's hard on the body, you can get them for peanuts now but I would only get one as a back up to my Hots.

Like you said the right rod can help you last a long session. My recent trip to Vanuatu I had been popping for about 2-3 hours then hooked up a 45-50 kilo shark and was as fresh as. In the past with my other rod I was shattered after 30-45min and could hardly hold a fish once hooked up and fatigued quickly into the fight.

The ripple 79R is an awesome rod and was close to getting one till the Hots came up.

im currently using a demonblood 802xh and it kills me an hour on an ebi165ext and im done not to mention if i where to hook up then id be in trouble.

i got your pm im gonna see what i can do. my other alternative was jignpop.com sell cape cod 80G blanks for $195usd and i have a very good rod builder up the road from me so was thinking of doing my own thing. white/grey/black cammo grips, carbon/gold trims, white bindings, K sic's and mabey gunmetal colour alps reel seat could be a beauty and ive heard good things about the cape cod blanks.

Archived