Fishing the 24s

Hein

Hey all,

Just wanted to share my recent fishing trip out with the missus' brother who took me out to the 24s off the Gold Coast.

So plan of attack that arvo was to just throw 7 inch Gulp Soft Plastics and fish for some snapper.

We ended up hooking onto 1 nice 70cm snapper (well the missus' brother did) and things were a little quiet after that.

I was fishing with my new outfit I bought which is a Daiwa Generation Black Wicked Weasel rod (2-6kg 6'10" rod matched with a Daiwa 2500 Freams spooled with 8 pound Fireline) thinking "oh yeah, wouldn't it be funny if I hooked up to something big on this???"... Well what happened next was crazy....

I cast out about 30 metres and just let the plastic drift down... No touches on the way down, but as I was winding the line back in, something grabbed it and took off... Not much happened straight away, but as soon as I put some pressure on it to set the hooks it realised it was hooked and just screamed off!!!

Within 30 seconds, 150 yards of braid was peeled off and I was down to the backing!!! :( So we started to chase the fishing in the boat... Every wind of the handle, the fish was taking more and I didn't think I was going to get it in... I tightened up the drag and started putting some hurt on the fish (well as much as I could on the light gear)...

After about 30 minutes of fighting the fish, we saw some colour and it was a massive Mac Tuna!!! I got a little excited and as we had the fish at the boat, my 15 pound leader snapped and the fish swam off!!! GOD DAMMIT!!! :evil:

Spewing I didn't get a pic of it but was an awesome experience and proves how you can catch big fish on the light gear (which I usually use to chase flathead) if you just take your time.

Interesting thing was we looked on the GPS to see how far we had moved from our spot and the fish took me almost 1 kilometre (boat was in neutral at times so we were being towed).

I also looked at the braid and the fused Fireline had unfused (if that's even a word) due to the line passing through the guides so fast!!! Craziness!!!

Anyways, thanks for reading and tight lines to everyone!!! ;)

Archived