Local Perth YFT fun

Ben Derecki

Hey guys

Don't post on here much any more but still drop in from time to time to see what's happening over there... mainly to drool at some of the trip reports that are put up :cheer:

Got out locally recently for some chasing yellowfin tuna after hearing a few reports that they were around.

Launched from one of the ramps in the northern suburbs around 6.30am and spent a while motoring to where we wanted to start our run. Dropped the lures in (one Laser Pro and two skirts) and trolled for about an hour without any action. The conditions were perfect but it made for quite uncomfortable trolling because it was hot and humid, there was only a light breeze and we were travelling with it so there was nothing to drop the temp down. Still better than being at work I spose.

Things all changed pretty quickly though with - 1 - 2 - 3 - rods suddenly bending over with drag ratchets going mental. I grabbed the first and my mate Eugene grabbed another but my fish dropped the lure so I turbo wound the lure in and then grabbed the other rod and we both had some fun with fish reluctant to come to the surface. We ended up boating two yellowfin one around 820mm and the other around 550mm.

Kept going for a while finding plenty of huge bait schools but not finding any fish around them before we had another couple of hookups. I boated a stripey around 600mm and then a short while later Eugene dropped a fish before landing another yellowfin around the 800mm mark.

We thought we'd have a crack at dropping jigs on the flareups just off the bottom hoping for kings or sambos but after stuffing around for half an hour with a northerly that had picked up well beyond what we'd expected plus getting fed up with a recalcitrant sea anchor we decided to turn in. We could only sit on around 12 knots heading in because of the wind and chop so we dropped two skirts out the back just incase and ended up with another stripey around 660mm for our troubles.

All up it was a great day on the water - caught some quality fish and ended up with a great nosh-up later that evening. B)

post-4623-144599014868_thumb.jpg

post-4623-144599014876_thumb.jpg

post-4623-14459901488_thumb.jpg

post-4623-144599014884_thumb.jpg

post-4623-144599014888_thumb.jpg

post-4623-144599014892_thumb.jpg

post-4623-144599014896_thumb.jpg

Archived