Hardbody and Soft plastic flathead lure suggestions

Mr alvey

My got to for targeting Flathead is the Damiki Armour shad in 3 and 5 inch, white and Moebi are my favourites. In hard bodies I am a huge fan of the Pontoon 21 Crackjack, the whole colour selection work incredibly well, the stand out is the Wakasagi colour, anything from the 48mm to 78mm will do the trick. http://masterangler.com.au/p/6820128/pontoon-21-crackjack-58mm-dr.html

I am the opposite, I have more flathead lures rather than bream but bream will still take the small ones.

As for lure choice I have had alot of succes on the berkley gulp 3 inch minnow grub in camo colour, also the Z man 2.5 inch grub(first Flathead on Lure) in watermelon red. I used the Kato aura jr minnow for about 2 hours and caught 2 flathead, Bream, tailor and whiting on the shallow flats. Most brands make a Crank or Deep diving Minnow for flathead.

Main thing is to match the hatch. Do your research on the area and find out the baitfish profiles/size and also what other baits the fish may feed on(yabbies, worms, crabs).

Get out there and give it your best shot, Dom

depends on where you are chasing the flatties and what depth your fishing in.......but as far as hard bodies go i cant beat blades, thre are multiple ways to retrieve them and have great action obviously colour and weight of the lure will vary depending on the water you are working, as far as soft plastics in the shallow >4m i like my minnow favourite is 3" in pumpkinseed but its worth having a few 5" to flick around if you can get them aswell just to vary if you arnt getting hit on one, if fishing <4m then i would go paddle tails as you dont have to impart alot of action into them and once again can use several types of retrieves. i usually use a min 1/4oz jghead cause i know it will stay near the bottom where the flathead are and is a lttle resistant to tidal flow. hope this helps but trial and error are the key if sumthing doesnt work change your retrieve or lure type, and as mentioned above you tube flathead on soft plastics there is alot of info for helping to get started.

I think it's easier to use paddle tail plastics when starting out. A good start could be gulp 2", 3" grubs or zman grubs. Flat ties will take small lures too, so don't be tricked into only using larger lures.

Hard bodies try something that swims close to or on the bottom. Ecogear sx48, atomic crank deep, crack jack deep. For a larger hardbody try a Berkeley frenzy. My pb flatty of 82cm was caught on a gold frenzy.

I like solid colours of pink, gold, red, silver for flathead, but they will eat just about anything that swims past their heads.

I find it is a matter of finding them. Look for signs of bait and you will most likely find them near by.

Archived