Airlie Beach

Northside Chic

Hi guys

I'm going to Airlie Beach with my family (adults and kids) after Christmas for about a week and I was wondering if anyone could give me some idea's about land based fishing spots. We will probably go on a half day fishing charter one of the days but the kids love fishing so we will be doing some land based as well. I have heard the rock walls are good but are there any beaches or creeks to fish so it's easier to get around for the kids? Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hey there Northside Chic,

I’m not sure if you still need suggestions, but if you’re looking for a comfortable place to enjoy a fishing experience with your kids, I’d suggest the Daydream Island Resort & SPA, located on Daydream Island:
/>http://www.alistguide.com.au/venues/qld/whitsundays/hotel/daydream_island_resort_spa.html

They have plenty of fishing options, as well as other activities so you’ll definitely have a blast.

Hey mate, I'll be up that way around Christmas too, my wife's family live in Proserpine. I try and go fishing whenever I'm up there, but usually go with a local I know in his boat, but still know a few land based spots.

Shute harbour holds some good fish around the boats, and I've seen regular catches of coral trout and trevally. If you're after beach fishing, Conway beach is great when the tide is in and you have the option to walk around to Wilson's beach and fish the mouth of the Proserpine River. A safer and prettier option is to drive up to Dingo Beach and Hideaway Bay, 45 minutes north. They have swim nets and granite headlands that look over patches of coral. I've caught trout, emperor and cod around here, as well as all your other tropical reefies. Most of the creeks and rivers in the area are bordered by thick mangroves or on private property, plus the crocodile population in the area is quite prominent. There is a spot up the Proserpine River, known by the locals as 'the landing'. It is a nice picnic area and great fishing spot, I've seen bream, blue salmon, grunter and archer fish caught here. But anything that lives in the river could be caught also. The bank is quite steep, so you wouldn't want to fall in from here as you'd have trouble getting out. In other words your safe up top, something to consider if you've got kids. The spot is located at the end of Glen Isla road, which runs out of Proserpine and goes past the crocodile tours departure point, which says something about the area it's in.

Archived