Logan bull sharks - is my equipment ok?

Ryannnnnnnn

Hi,

I have been wanting a go st doing some some Logan bull shark fishing but am wondering if my equipment will be OK for the first time? I have a very decent graphite rod I use for my lure fishing with braid, but I am thinking about using my bait rod for the shark. The bait rod is a 2-4kg shimano with the attached reel. The combination is nothing special. I also have some wire trace (about 8 or 10 inches from memory) with some big hooks. Would this suffice to just start out to give it a crack?

IMG_20160203_075509.jpg

IMG_20160203_075438.jpg

last shark I caught in the logan was on 6lbs line using a shimano sienna 1000,  straight to a 60lb wire trace. your setup is more than fine mate. don't need huge hooks really, just some good sized circle hooks ( I use 6/0 or 7/0) but have caught them on smaller than that. if I could suggest anything, it would be to run a 1m leader of 30 or 40lb mono (whatever heavier mono you have lying around) as they can sometimes wrap themselves up in your line and bust you off that way.

the mistake most people make is fishing too heavy for the small bullies in my opinion. get out there and have some fun!!

18 hours ago, Ryannnnnnnn said:

Great thanks for the feedback guys. I have a bream in the freezer - has anyone had any success on bream? Thinking of filleting a chunk off and using that. Will probably get some mullet too as I read that works well also

fillets will work, but what you will find is that fillets get picked to pieces very quickly from smaller stuff and crabs. maybe instead of filleting the bream, just cut the tail off to create a bit of blood in the water and use the whole bream. Fresh caught whole yellow tail pike with the tail cut off is awesome bait too, pike can be very easy to catch and stock up on too

Archived