Newish To Brisbane Just Bought A Boat

Cmaltby

I'm new here first time posting I grew up in north qld where the fish were always plentiful and moved to Brisbane a while ago and had no luck land based other than the average bream etc it seems you have to work a lot harder for your fish. so I decided to buy a boat I got a 4.1m with a 30hp I'm looking to chase snapper tailor mackerel etc any tips would be appreciated. I've recently converted to soft plastics and had a lot more luck than bait fishing. I'm also interested in creek fishing chasing jacks flat head and bream when the weather is crap (like the last couple of weeks) any help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks 

image.jpeg

Yeah I can't wait to get it out in the bay ive had it for two weeks now just waiting on some good weather in the mean time I've been sticking to the likes of tingalpa creek, I've found bait seems to attract more crap species like cat fish so it's a matter of finding how to use plastics correctly. I bought the navionics app in the hope it could help me get onto some decent spots but have had more luck finding my own spots 

Hey mate,

great at rig for exploring down around the jumpinpin area. Heaps of spots, can target pretty much all usual estuary species from whiting to mulloway on lures, bait, whatever.

in the bay good places to start are around the drop off around any of the islands and around the artificial reefs. Make sure you brush up on your green zones and alike first though.

just be warned, the bay can be very uncomfortable in smaller boats (mine is 5.3m and anything over 12-15kn gets quite yuck). In summer the afternoon NE sea breeze can kick up from glass to 15-20kn in no time and make the afternoon very uncomfortable. in winter the SW are usually strongest in the morning but ease off during the day.

cheers.

Hey mate thanks, I found out it can be uncomfortable pretty quick took it out when I got it in 15kt winds to green island and it got pretty wet. 

I've noticed the drop offs here aren't that deep and the whole bay seems to be the 4-5 metre mark bar the sink hole off mud or am I missing some deeper holes. 

Anyway thanks again for the reply. When I get out next I'll update with how I go 

Yeah mate, and the bit between green island and the mainland is reasonably sheltered! The run back from the eastern bay is hell in 15kn.

as Sam said, deep water is certainly not a requirement, most of my better spots are patches of rubble/wire weed in 5-7m of water, pre-dawn my fav spot with placcies is about 3-4 foot only and you get plenty of snapper and sweetlip there. Just look along drop offs on your sounder for areas of rubble and alike. You won't catch big fish all the time, the joys of living close to 2m people, but there are good fish there. The lighter the tackle the better! Mud island, peel island (check green zones) and goat island are good places to start looking around.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived