Pine Bream Session (+new Pb) 20.3.16

curranboy99

Hello All

Another pine river bream report this time at spot X.

I left home and travelled off to tackle land to buy some hooks then off to spot X which required driving a gravel road and walking a 2.5km round trip which I ended up getting to the spot at 7.30am. High tide was at 7.50am, the was a 5knot SSE wind, and the water was brown and murky. The rig of choice was 3lb braid -> 1m 4lb fluoro leader (tied to mainline by Albright) -> sz0 ball sinker -> eagle claw lazer point sz2 hook and the bait was fresh mullet strips 3cm x 2cm.

I fished for the first 1 hour or so with no bites or nibbles at all then got hooked up and after a small zig zag fight I landed my PB moses perch while it was only a wee 24cm it was still a PB I had a pic taken and swam the fish to release it which I ended up getting soaked as it kicked off.

[24cm moses perch]

DSCF9300.thumb.JPG.ccea1858d53274f6c6f82

I keep fishing after the perch and the fish had come on bite which every cast getting my bait stolen, line broken on the strike, or busted off. The next fish I managed to land was a just legal yellowfin bream of 25.3cm which I decided to keep. Through the hot bite period I had found out I had to make sure the drag was a bit loose before I hook a fish and once hooked up lock my drag up to stop it reaching the barnacle encrusted structure a few feet away which was fun on 3lb I must say! The next fish I landed was a good size bream of 31cm which was a quick, hard and fast fight which was somewhat like mangrove fishing but fun still. And the 31cm bream got bleed out and put on ice with the other bream. I keep fishing till 11.30am and caught a small 20cm bream. Then cleaned my legals by the waters edge and left.

All up the catch was: 24cm Moses Perch, 25cm Bream, 31cm Bream, and a 20cm Bream so not too bad in my opinion for a few hours in the pine land-based :) 

[25cm bream]

DSCF9308.thumb.JPG.69ef5d03d6871f3e37ec9

[31cm bream]

DSCF9314.thumb.JPG.eb90bdef8e606cc10a17a

Thanks for reading :) 

Great work @curranboy99! It is funny, as my fishing knowledge increases, I get more from your posts. This time around I was nodding as I read your rig information and could picture it perfectly in my mind. 

As you may know, I am also land based fishing on the Pine River. Your adventure intrigued me as I have been scouring Google Maps for spots where I can access the river without being chased off by a dude with a shotgun. Spot X sounds interesting and I may have an idea where it is but probably not. 

I have been fishing Bob Bell but I think it may be too far down the South Pine River and I am changing my thinking regarding locations. 

Good catch and great photos - do you set up a tripod to take them? 

Keep them reports coming, I know they have helped me and also feed my urge to investigate different reaches of the Pine. 

Thanks @Luvit, Those bigger bream over 30cm really are a handful on light gear and will do keeping these reports coming :) 

@samsteele115, it can be a very tough river the pine I've found as well mainly with lures though but with the good old strip bait it can be quite easy to fish at times matched with the bait schools of prawns and hardyheads i've found out so far :) 

Thanks @PineRiverNoob its great to hear the my reports are being helpful for other fishers in the area :). The pine has little access but there are a couple gems along the river where you get to the river bank with no other shorebased fishos for most of the time but this spot x i've found had signs saying "motion detecting cameras" which was odd, but at least I was well supplied there with a spring coil mattress (only had two holes and moderate water damage), old rusty chair, and half a crab pot!! :P 

I never use a tripod I either prop the camera up on a rock or get who ever that's drives me out there to take a pic (don't have my own car atm) :) 

Haha, your adventure seems to be getting more exciting with each post!

I'm going to try DWB this arv and test my theory regarding larger fish further up the river. It will be after the low tide so I'm not sure if they'll be on the bite or not.

Getting out there and no bites is better than not getting out there at all!

1 hour ago, PineRiverNoob said:

I'm going to try DWB this arv and test my theory regarding larger fish further up the river. It will be after the low tide so I'm not sure if they'll be on the bite or not.

That's true getting out there and getting no bites is better than not being out there at all! :D 

Good Luck, let me know how you go :) 

2 hours ago, PineRiverNoob said:

that's it mate, all about trial and error, and seeing what works best for you. you will learn more by having a donut session than sitting at home on google. good luck to you.

So my 2 hrs at DWB after work (3:15-5:15pm) were not a major success but not a donut either. Got 4 YF bream - all undersized though. Was away from the boardwalk about 10 mins walk past the boat ramp on the muddy beach - low tide was 2:45pm. In retrospect, much more structure near the ramp and being a weekday it was available. So this might be a better place to fish for next time. 

One issue: do people with braid main lines use swivels then FC leaders? I get tangles (between the braid and FC leader) since moving from mono to braid and wonder if I remove the swivel and do a double Uni to join braid and leader, will this problem disappear?

It is easy to fall into that trap when moving away from mono, I did it initially before I was told it was a big no no. You should have a rod length of leader and tie it to the braid with a double uni when you are using lighter leader (anything over 15lb I find gets hard to cast through the guides and that's where the FG knot comes in.)

Theres one thing that confuses me about landbased fishing and places for people to fish respectively... Wouldnt you want to fish somewhere that sees the least amount of fishing pressure as possible? Somewhere away from where a smart 40cm bream sees dozens of hooks every day for as long as it stays there?  If someone were to tell me I had to fish at Deepwater Bend for a day I would pick up my gear and walk as far away from that place as I could through the hardest to reach places before I started fishing. To somewhere no one has said 'here is a good spot'. Might be just me. No disrespect to anyone who does that but I'm just putting my thoughts out there. I know it has worked for me with wild bass fishing in the past and I would never do anything different to that. The best thing is, no other people around you to piss you off! (of course I understand there are no 'secret spots' so close to a city, someone would have fished your spot at some recent point).

14 hours ago, PineRiverNoob said:

So my 2 hrs at DWB after work (3:15-5:15pm) were not a major success but not a donut either. Got 4 YF bream - all undersized though. Was away from the boardwalk about 10 mins walk past the boat ramp on the muddy beach - low tide was 2:45pm. In retrospect, much more structure near the ramp and being a weekday it was available. So this might be a better place to fish for next time. 

One issue: do people with braid main lines use swivels then FC leaders? I get tangles (between the braid and FC leader) since moving from mono to braid and wonder if I remove the swivel and do a double Uni to join braid and leader, will this problem disappear?

Doesn't Seem to bad, good job and effort, thanks for reporting back :). For most of my fishing I use braid main lines and if i'm whiting fishing I use braid -> sinker -> swivel -> FC leader and find I don't get any tangles but that's just me. You could try using a leader knot such as a double uni or what I prefer a Albright to make the tangles stop happening but the sinker will run onto the hook though which is great for bream not good whiting. And if I had to recommend a technique to stop tangles while using swivel is to be able to make "cleaner" casts that aren't jerky.

Hope this helps not a good write up just info jumbled together to make somewhat sense :) 

14 hours ago, samsteele115 said:

It is easy to fall into that trap when moving away from mono, I did it initially before I was told it was a big no no. You should have a rod length of leader and tie it to the braid with a double uni when you are using lighter leader (anything over 15lb I find gets hard to cast through the guides and that's where the FG knot comes in.)

Theres one thing that confuses me about landbased fishing and places for people to fish respectively... Wouldnt you want to fish somewhere that sees the least amount of fishing pressure as possible? Somewhere away from where a smart 40cm bream sees dozens of hooks every day for as long as it stays there?  If someone were to tell me I had to fish at Deepwater Bend for a day I would pick up my gear and walk as far away from that place as I could through the hardest to reach places before I started fishing. To somewhere no one has said 'here is a good spot'. Might be just me. No disrespect to anyone who does that but I'm just putting my thoughts out there. I know it has worked for me with wild bass fishing in the past and I would never do anything different to that. The best thing is, no other people around you to piss you off! (of course I understand there are no 'secret spots' so close to a city, someone would have fished your spot at some recent point).

agree with you there. I do my best to not fish in area's where it is known to the rest of the public. it just gets over fished and all the local fish get scared off, or are to clever. just look at the videos of woody point where a bloke drops a go pro down attached to a long piece of material with bait attached to it. there are some donkey break, fingermark and flathead that show up on the video, but you rarely see people catch good fish from that jetty. sure, the occasional good fish is caught, but compare the fish caught to the total combined hours of people fishing on the pier would be pretty ridiculous.

16 hours ago, samsteele115 said:

1 hour ago, christophagus said:

agree with you there. I do my best to not fish in area's where it is known to the rest of the public. it just gets over fished and all the local fish get scared off, or are to clever. just look at the videos of woody point where a bloke drops a go pro down attached to a long piece of material with bait attached to it. there are some donkey break, fingermark and flathead that show up on the video, but you rarely see people catch good fish from that jetty. sure, the occasional good fish is caught, but compare the fish caught to the total combined hours of people fishing on the pier would be pretty ridiculous.

Agree with the both of you on those statements. It is best to fish somewhere where the general public don't know about one of the reasons this report I haven't featured the location as it doesn't seem to many know about it or think you can't access it (land-based, boat it would be a piece of cake) with gates, warning camera signs, no standing areas, barbed wire fences all in close proximity of the spot. So it doesn't get much attention LAND BASED and in turn slightly better fishing (yet to fully prove though) but in saying that some quality fish do get caught of crowded platforms i.e. deep water bend when a month ago I caught a 34cm yellowfin bream and I caught my PB bream at Nudgee Beach on the crowded rockwall near the mouth of the canal.

So I guess in my limited (5 years) salt water fishing knowledge that you could put in the hours in a couple crowded spots like deep water bend boardwalk or woody point jetty and get a quality fish every now and then or go out putting in the hours looking for untouched spots, using a lot more fishing time to find where you MAY get quality fish on a more consistent basis so its depends on the type of fisho you are one that likes the easy way getting good results every now and then or the other that is always going on an adventure to find the next untouched gem where 1kg bream may be lurking, I find myself at the halfway point between extremes of "fisher-types" I've mentioned.

Archived