Boat Capacity Labels .....

kmcrosby78

Well, after using my 14ft tinny since I acquired from my brother/dad in 2010, and after being visited by water police approximately 5 times in that time, I learnt something that I'd been missing on Sunday. I was drifting for whiting near the Small Boat Passage (ironically I forgot my Beacon to Beacon and as I am a newbie to this area I was concerned I was somehow in the Green Zone judging by the way the water cop, who was on a jetski which I don't think I've seen before, was approaching me/looking at me funny.  Turned out to be a great guy and after checking everything (glad he did as it made me realise my flares expire in June - he was impressed that I write the expiry on top of the box however :)) he asked where my Builders Plate or Capacity Label was. I was familiar with a Builders Plate and couldn't recall whether I had one or not but I drew a blank on the Capacity Label. Issued a warning/caution and received no fine and was told to go to a 'Chandlery' to get one (drew a blank on this word too - is it an old-fashioned word?).

Received a call from my missus to come home as the young fella was spewing so started the going home process, then found some birds working ........ followed them for a while and then as I was decided whether to continue the chase or go home I saw two jetskis speeding towards me and realised it was the water cops again. It was the second cop that reach me first this time and once we worked out I'd already been checked he asked whether his buddy had mentioned 'my issue up the front' .... hmmm, what is it this time? I have a small, foldable combined nav light stick on the nose of my tinny and this was the issue, so I asked whether it is not OK?  "Well, it's bearable, but it does make your boat hard to see at night" is the reply. So it appears they are not illegal so I'll be sticking with it as I seem to recall the alternative of having one on either side wasn't such a simple process to mount and get at the right angles.

So .... a longwinded (as usual ....) way to ensure there are no other dummies out there like me that are scooting around without a capacity label.  Oh and has anyone else got the same nav light stick as me and if so have you had it questioned?

I was given a warning when I first got my current tinnie for not having a capacity label even though I had a builders compliance plate in plain view.  I was ptretty sure it was either/or, but anything for a quiet life so now they sit there tautologically (look it up, Kelvin) side by side.  Doyley's point about the life jacket sign is a good one because that regulation is relatively recent and would be easy to miss. I usually leave the jackets on deck anyway because if something goes badly wrong I am not sure there would be enough time to rustle through a hatch looking for them.

Archived